Bag of crap when floor it

Andyroo83

Reaction score
When i cane my 1.8 20v it sounds like a bag of crap. Dont think its engine think its exhaust by cat or one of gaskets shot. Anyone else had this problem?

Sounds fine when im just gently drivig along but when i put me foot down its sounds like a knackered tranny van.

no loss of power. And cant get any footage. Engine ticks over fine and when its stood and blip it it sounds fine. Just when i open it up down road. Think summits blown in system.​

If you think the exhaust is blowing hold a rag over the tail pipe and listen for leaks?
Hard to tell whats up without seeing or hearing it.

unplug your MAF

I would put money on it being knackered
exact symptoms I had, could drive miss daisy around but as soon as I had to accelerate or put engine under load it crapped out, misfired, lost power, sounded terrible etc etc

Does it accellerate normally and just sound crap? Or does it missfire/jerk/etc when you try to accellerate?

Accelerates fine just sounds crap when i put me foot down. Theres no jerking or loss of power either.

then it doesnt sound like the MAF if you still have power

sounds like you have a exhaust joint opening up under load

when you say "sounds crap" can you be more specific
noisy
blowing exhaust
knocking, crunching, banging?

The noise only appears when under load. Could be join opening up. Its not knocking crunching or banging. Hard to describe the noise

It sounds similar to what I'm experiencing at the moment with mine, apart from mine sounds awful when first starting up too, the engine is running sweet so I had mine at a custom exhaust garage in my town yesterday and up on the ramps, turns out I have a rusted hole at the rear, and the cat has gone at the front, its the cat that makes the worst noise though under load, my fuel is terrible too, and apparently the fuel consumption is crap when the exhaust is shot, especially if the cat has had it too.

Thts what i need to do is take it in to get ot checked out. The noise is coming from front had a quick check yesterday and the cat was rusted to hell but rest of system seemed fairly new. So probs have to fork out a small fortune for a cat.

It very much could be the cat on yours, the guy who inspected mine knocked it a bit and it rattled like hell, he said it was totally shot, I have decided to completely de cat mine, I have booked it in for a full system.