• Start date
I

imported_VaulterTim

Ok... pop quiz... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I got bored and I've been tinkering... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

What is it ?

guagepodstart5xo.jpg

T

I said what's it GOING to be... not what it is now!

You win 'Dunce Of The Day' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Go sit in the corner and put on the conical 'D' hat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I said what's it GOING to be... not what it is now!

You win 'Dunce Of The Day' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Go sit in the corner and put on the conical 'D' hat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Well, I don't think it's going to be a new spoiler...

How about an armrest organiser?

I've been meaning to make one out of foam for years.

Kev.

I don't have an armrest but I suppose 'organiser' is a close association /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keep guessing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

P.S. This is my new spoiler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

lipspoilerunpainted3nw.jpg

Unpainted at the mo as you can see... I'm having the whole bootlid done (plus a few other things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) as there is small rust patch at the leading edge near the window. You can just see it in the middle there if you look closely.

But back to the task at hand... keep guessing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ok... here's another clue... the next step... attack it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guagepodfirstattack8fn.jpg

Here's the first pic again cos I deleted it and replaced it on the server...

guagepodstart7ig.jpg

Nope... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Next...

Another step... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

guagepodroundedchamfer6ze.jpg

I actually got a bit excited after this and carried on until it was finished(ish) so I don't have any more pictorial clues now I'm afraid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quick recap...

It's a collection of sorts (very loosely), collection = a place to collect things together yes?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Nope... think smaller.

It'll be inside the car and in plain 'view'

i think i got it...

your putting skirting board round the inside of the car??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Maybe I should tile the door panels to finish off the kitchen theme I was going for... what ya reckon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

haha hell yeah! Tiled doorcards would be awesome.

replace the rear bench for a slate worksurface, and replumb the turbo as an extractor for the cabin

job done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Granite is the latest must have in the kitchen

lol @ turbos are so multipurpose!

i'm going to take a serious guess , its some sort of tomtom gps tray?

Its a passenger side shoe rack for the Mrs.
As if they haven`t got enough f /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifing shoes in the house, they still think they got to keep a couple of pairs in the f /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifing car!

[ QUOTE ]
haha hell yeah! Tiled doorcards would be awesome.

replace the rear bench for a slate worksurface, and replumb the turbo as an extractor for the cabin

job done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now then... turbo... that's a little warmer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Granite is the latest must have in the kitchen
lol @ turbos are so multipurpose!
i'm going to take a serious guess , its some sort of tomtom gps tray?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Multipurpose indeed... turbos again huh? Gettin there... just a little more... remember... a collection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So no, sorry dummi, not a GPS Tray but a good guess nonetheless!

[ QUOTE ]
Its a passenger side shoe rack for the Mrs.
As if they haven`t got enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif shoes in the house, they still think they got to keep a couple of pairs in the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif car!

[/ QUOTE ]

Rahahahaha!!!!

That is funny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

PLEASE don't let ANY of them hear you suggest that sort of thing out loud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It would be the end of our last bastion of individual enjoyment... our cars. Life would not be worth living if the missus got her 'creative' hands on my motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Is it a stand for your Audi-Sport logo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope TDI, not a stand.

Any more offers gentlemen??

I'll give you another clue...

When I finished making the other edge look like the last pic. I drilled some holes in it...

T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

oki then, what gauges or programmable fuel/boost mapper you got to put in it then?

The lollypops thing did cross my mind (I like lollypops!) but in the end decided to go for the gauges /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So... BINGO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif madvw is the winner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kevint, you can take off the hat and remove yourself from the corner now, you are excused from dunce duty from this point forward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

madvw, for your amazing aptitude you get a gold star. And....

... a picture!

dialpod0il.jpg

They are, from left to right... Oil Pressure, Air/Fuel Ratio, Boost. All gauges are Autometer Ultralite series.

Actually, I'm feeling generous so here's another...

dialslndash4nj.jpg

As you can see, it's not trimmed yet and at this moment it's actually sitting in my living room watching TV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I get the car back from the bodyshop I will get on with finishing it. I think it'll need more trimming to get it to fit properly after it's had a nice vinyl covering or similar. Was thinking about putting some thin vents in it too, just so the air gets through a little. I can live without the three that were there, if there's one thing Audis have an abundance of it's ****** vents!

More when it's done... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

T

Good work Tim, had me fooled.

Will look cool with some decent graphite vinyl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Kevint, you can take off the hat and remove yourself from the corner now, you are excused from dunce duty from this point forward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It was so late when you wrote this post I never read it till this morning! So I actually wore the hat to bed muttering over and over to myself that I was a dunce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Install will look good - I'd givr some serious thought though to adding some type of vent to it otherwise you'll have very little air movement in the middle of the car.

Kev.

Cheers guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kev, you make me p*ss! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

As I said previously, the car is at the bodyshop at the moment so when I get it back (hopefully middle of the week, woohoo!) I'll be taking it to a mate who can match mostly anything out there. I think I'll pad it out slightly too with some very thin foam backing to give it that OEM dash feel...

The vents... I've given that a lot of thought... holes of some kind... slots... a combination...

At the moment I'm erring towards some vertical slots between the gauges which, once it's all covered, I'll look into trimming somehow. Maybe if I could find some sort of Aluminium trim... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

I want it to look as OEM as possible which, ok, I know it's not going to 'cos there's three big gauges poking out of it! But I'll try!

So is it safe to assume that you all like my little 'collection' of gauges then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

More when it's finished...

Cheers guys

Tim

Finished in the right material it will look good, as you've already said, I think some thin foam backing would be good and make it look/feel better.

How do you plan to finish either end, where the dash project out as the vents once did?

Kev.

That's been on my mind too Kev... not an easy one to solve.

I'll have a play around with some extra pieces to see how it looks. Maybe angle them inwards to give it the dished look but that may be getting too elaborate and would probably look gash anyway!

I thought about building the whole thing up to match the original vents shape and then having the gauges recessed...

Suggestions are always welcome...

T

I thought about acouple of angle fillets taking the lines back from the dash into the display - but the more I think about it, the less I'm sure if it would look ok or not.

I think the problem is all the dash is nicely curved in that area and you're intoducing a large flat panel in the middle and then trying to blend it in, which is never going to be easy.

Making the display to match the original vent curvature would be difficult, and to be honest, with deeply recessed dials I think would not be too good.

Maybe a small amount of curvature in the panel with slightly recessed gauges with some fillet pieces to blend into the dash would look better.

Kev.

Perhaps you could use the panel you have with the dials in those positions and make the slight curvature in the panel with built up layers of foam, trimming the final surface covering back into the dials and flaring the edges out with foam back into the dash?

Or should I go and dig that hat out again?

Kev.

Here ya go Kev... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

duncehat2am.jpg

Hell no, just took it outta the cupboard!

It was a souvenir from my rogueish years at primary school /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Really Tim? You was browsing AS NET at school /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well, before TDI does - Fear my Paint Shop skills:

Eau%20Rouge%20Dunce.jpg

Kev.

Rahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man!

Pass the needle and thread... I think my sides just split! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Hahahaha!!!!

And no, I was not browsing AS.net at school you dunce! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Ok... after a long time of sitting there and doing nothing with it (and reading through this thread again, laughing hard for a good ten minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) ...

Here is a photo of some material I tried on the pod that the missus found somewhere (bless her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Link

I'm not sure if you can see it, but I have also made some small inserts that fit on the ends of the pod that give it that extra bit of dimension and fill out the small recess that was created by fitting a flat piece into a curved surface. The ends need tucking in etc. but that is only the first thing I have tried and I'm not 100% happy with the match (texture or colour) so will get something better when I decide to 'finish' it.

That's all for now folks!

T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif