Rear diff plug disappeared wtf

Ian2012

Reaction score
So i am under the car today (see other thread) and i have diff seal that's gone maybe both sides, so i am looking for the filler to tpo it off for now, i am no stranger to quattro's btw, so i look on the left side hmm not there i look on the right side hmm not there either, i look again on the right side (drivers) and have scrape around nothing it looks like at some point and this is a guess some one has sheared a tool in the plug and it's now rusted flush with the casing.

Suggestions as to how to fill the diff please

Ta

Ian

I used an air chisel with a very fine point tip to just shock the old one loose i re-used mine as it wasnt rounded but if yours is fubar then id order one from stealers !!

but there is nothing to get a hold on like it no evidence of a plug being there really odd i must say, unless of course i am blind!!

It does seam to sit quite flush iirc maybe its caked in crap and oil try blasting it of with a jet wash its there somewhere lol

its to the rear of the drive flange on the drivers side of the diff.

Pic here:

misc33-rear_fill.jpg

aab.jpg

Thanks for the location pics, looks like mine is rusted and full of broken tool that is now flush with the casing, i suppose the only way to get oil in it is when doing the oil seal??

i tried to fill mine thru the driveshaft hole, and just ended up covered in oil.

air chisel like bradderz suggests, or perhaps welding a bolt on might get you somewhere?

if i had welding kit that would be the way forward, i will have another look and see if a chisel will work,

right , I know this sounds daft , but that casing is alu , so get yourself a magnet , and when it sticks to the case somewere like in that picture , you have found your metal plug :icon_thumright:

Depending on your acces to tooling (such as a right angle drill)

Drill into the broken tool, screw in a hefty self tapper and lever it out to remove the tool?
Drill into the broken tool and use a DECENT 'easy-out' to remove plug and tool together?

Another method is to buy another plug, then drill two 1/8" - 3/16" holes into the plug and knock in two pins (such as phillips screwdriver shafts) you can then put a bar between them and unscrew the plug and tool.

Diff plug was full of rust and cack, cleaned it all out to find it's so rusted as there is nothing for any kind of tool to get a grip on, tried chisel and hammer, no joy with that. so i am looking a nut weld job or maybe drill the centre out a bit tap it and pop a bolt in with a sealing washer.

just get a bolt welded onto it, M10 or M12 bolt will fit into the rounded out hole, blast of weld to secure it and the heat should break it free as well.

what oil are you using, and do you sugest using molyslip, its like a sealent for slow leaking diff seals, wondered if this runins any thing?
whats the best oil i can use?

The correct grade is 75w90, some folks use semi synth some use fully, personally i wouldn't run molyslip but i would use millers oils stop leak, so when i get the damn plug out i will be popping some of that in after doing both drive shaft seals.