Replacing quattro rear diff carrier bushes how i did it

Ian2012

Reaction score
Finally got round to doing the diff carrier bushes today, ran the back of the car up on ramps, removed the carrier plate drilled out the rubber in the middle in a few places then twisted the metal core out, hammer and chisel to remove old bush. Now here is the interesting part, as hard as i tried with big sockets to squeeze the new bushes in they wouldn't go, seem to be made out of soft metal that deforms easily, so what i did was to get a piece of wood 2" x 4" as it happens drilled a slightly smaller hole and forced the metal centre in so it was nice and snug, back to bench vice got it all square and pressed them in no bother, needed a little tap from the hammer to get them all the way in and hey presto.

Gear change much improved.

the rear carrier bushes are plastic cased not metal.

They also only like to go in one way, one side of the carrier is tapered, the other isnt, if you try to push them in the wrong side they tend to get stuck!

I wasn't sure if they were plastic or soft alloy, they seemed to like biting into the wood rather than sliding off the socket, and yes a chamfer on one side of the carrier plate.

just tiger sealed my old ones in place

very firm now!

Had no issues pressing in as running apikol bushes they just pop in either side then metal sleeve insert took me literally 1 minute to fit new bushes :) !!!

I have now cured the bump think gearchange thing to around 92% satisfaction level, i think a tiger seal of the front mount and i am done.