2nd Battery

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Maybe its a bit much but with all the kit I got in Audrey that uses power and my paranoia, I started thinking about 2nd batteries or battery backups.

Two thoughts.
One was a secondary battery and split charging but I can't think where to put it.
The second idea was mounting some external terminals in the engine bay and connect them up to a leisure battery when I'm stationary for longs periods of time and want to watch TV, A film or use the projector.

I think the leisure battery would be a better idea over split chartering. I don't mind carrying a 2nd when I know I'll need, like shows or camping.
My concern is what damage or problems I might have by connecting a large leisure battery to my battery/car leads.

Any one got any thoughts?

place it in the boot

Why not, on the right hand side of the boot where the alarm horm is, you could even run the wires under the car behind the heat shield.

Why not, on the right hand side of the boot where the alarm horm is, you could even run the wires under the car behind the heat shield.

It's all full up.

Right hand side is pump, triangle, hand cleaner, straps and hang grenade.
Left hand side is TV Tuner, Pi, 12V socket, 240v socket, first aid kit.
In the middle is my false floor.

I don't think there is any room in the bay for a 2nd battery.

I was thinking of mounting a Anderson connector in the bay to connect s leisure battery.
But need to make sure that it won't damage any thing on car when I connect it.

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of is to buy a larger battery, you may have to do a cut & shut on the standard battery holder for it to fit.

instead of 2 batteries, just get one massive one from a large diesel engined car (V10 TDI Tourag comes to mind, the battery in that has got to be massive)

you can then mount it in the original location with abit of modification, or you can relocate the battery to the boot and stick it in the wheel well.

instead of 2 batteries, just get one massive one from a large diesel engined car (V10 TDI Tourag comes to mind, the battery in that has got to be massive)

you can then mount it in the original location with abit of modification, or you can relocate the battery to the boot and stick it in the wheel well.

I got the largest battery possible.

I like my spare wheel, plus I need the spare wheel for my spare fuel tank.

The V10 TDI has 2 batteries.
One for the electronics and the 2nd one to start the unit.
Which is kind of what I'm wanting to do with the leisure battery and Anderson clips.

Attaching a second battery is fine, it wont cause any issues whatsoever, HOWEVER, it also wont stop you draining both...

Sit for long enough at say a car show with all your electrical goodies on, and it will happily run down both batteries and leave you no better off (bar the additional run time) than your current situation.

Split charging obviously gets round that by disconnecting the starter battery from the load while the engines off. Thus even if you drain the second battery, you can still start the engine from the main one.

Maybe a small jump pack would be a better idea? At least then you know you've got something to get you started again should you flatten the main battery.

Also its worth remembering that continually draining your main battery is going to seriously shorten its life.

The main battery tray takes 3 sizes of battery, however theres a fourth even larger size you can use, by getting a different clamp from the dealer (as the biggest size covers all three holes on the battery tray)

Use a marine battery switch for simplicity, then just "plug in" the second battery when needed?

I think the leisure battery would be a better idea over split chartering. I don't mind carrying a 2nd when I know I'll need, like shows or camping.
My concern is what damage or problems I might .............

Any one got any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

b7a12d40ea48583593d1b2af583225e1_zps20a97f39.jpg

fit a 2nd and split charge unit, run all your accessories off the 2nd and keep the main for starting

P9230002s.jpg

Reactions: Mackers