Brand new battery, battery light on with cold start, blip accel and it goes away.

J

jonnycraig

Hi guys I have tried to search for this symptom, essentially like the title says.

Any ideas, alternator is def putting out the 13.8 volts.

Cheers

Jonny

(1996 B5 1.9 TDI 90bhp 1Z Engine)

Battery should charge around 14.3/14.4 with no consumer load whats the battery voltage not running after 10 mins ?? The battery you have may look brand new but may have been sat on a shelf and in need of a 24 hour trickle charge battery should read around 12.6/12.7 new if its under 12.2 try a trickle charge see what that does also hook a multimeter up to the battery see what voltage you have with it at idle then raise it to 2k see what happens !!

Craigs S4 does this very same thing.

Start it up and the battery light is on and the voltmeter reads 12v. If you dont touch the throttle and leave it idling it stays at 12v and the light stays on. Give the throttle a poke to blip the revs and it jumps up to 14v and the light goes out, and it then charges fine even when idling from then on.

Its been like that for a year, hes been ignoring it as alternator is a pig to get at and is expensive.

Interestingly, it started after we put the engine in another car, so i had a bit of a feeling that it was a wiring issue, but i cant see anything wrong.

Mrs PaulFs Avant 2.5TDi does similar - although if you leave it idling for a while, it also comes up. The light isn't on, just a lower charge.

That's with different batteries and different alternators too.

It may just be an Audi 'thing' - although I suspect a higher than normal resistance earth or contactor somewhere.

Dunno if this is of any use but my old 90 did this exact same thing and it was the voltage regulator on the alternator. On those alternators you could change the v r with the brushes for about 12 quid. I don't know if you can do that with these