Sky InsuranceBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

Clutch replacement info / guide please

Its about time the clutch got done on me car, 1.8 1999 Treg A4 not sure of the engine code... i've never done one before.. but am confident going from instructions / diagrams. can this be done on my drive or does it need to be in the air? would rather keep the costs down and do it myself and also more importantly to learn then to take it to a garage.

also what clutch would i need... dont want to go and get the wrong one
    tools needed?

Cheers chaps
    Last edited by Steve_D; 22nd January 2013 at 06:51.
    If i told you i have to kill you, but i could give you a clue and just rough you up a bit!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Possible to do it on the ground, but the gearbox has a hell of a lot of weight so you would struggle to get the box back in. If you’re going down the diy route your best option is engine out, is sound bad but on the 1.8 it straight forward. In respect to instructions / diagrams get yourself a copy of elsawin of ebay.

1st Gear

Status
    really!! engine out!!

Would a trolly jack be able to drop the box and put it back in (thats what i was thinking lol) but im not questioning your knowledge, just sweeing if their is another way other than taking the engine out... really dunna fancy that one... although it would be nice to have the thing out, always wanted to blast the bay and tighten up some small rattles (them flappy heat sheilds)
    If i told you i have to kill you, but i could give you a clue and just rough you up a bit!

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    If you take engine out there is alot of things that can be done with ease whilst its out ie mounts, timing belt, new coolant and water pump, thermostat, block breather anything really if you want to be doing and funds are available it will save taking all the front end off in the near future.

ive got access to ramps so never really struggle when it comes to jobs like this.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

1st Gear

Status
    well its never had a timing belt done whilst i've had it... and at just over 200k guessing it should be done... this list is geting bigger.. you're all a bad influence lol

Going to do the thermostat this week hopefully.. if the goes, belt and clutch will be later in the year as tyres need doing too.. Tax is also this month haha... i need another job to upkeep the car this year me thinks... Mrs wont be happy the slightest.. her fiesta needs work doing too.. hers can wait though

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    It can be done on the drive, so long as you think your strong enough to lift the box back into place.

Trolley jack isnt great, as the alignment between the box and engine has to be perfect or it just wont go in.

When i did the clutch on the missus car i removed the engine, but then i have an engine crane.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    bahhh.. i can bench press 50 - 60kg lol.. but moving a big huge lump is a different thing in a confined space... will have to give this some thought, im not doing the clutch for a few months, tyres, TAX and Thermostat first

Thanks for the replies and comments though, really appreciate the help

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    i suspect a FWD box is 40kgs or less.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Owner

Status
    I would get someone to help as its one thing lifting it and another manovering it into place.
    A4 1.8T Quattro

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    FWD box can be dropped on ramps easily enough.
    `if i can lift a TQS box in and out a fwd one is at least 20KG lighter and slightly shorter.

I assume you have a non turbo 1.8 ?

1st Gear

Status
    yeah it is the non turbo but then again less problems

i will have some help from my bro when i do it aswell, but being as though im 6'5" its an even tighter space under neath...

Also my drive is slanted about 5-10 degrees, would this help or not? if not i can use the neighbors who's is flat.