8T A4 Brakes&Suspension

gmx

Reaction score
Fronts:
Calipers & carriers from the 8T A5 3.0tdi which is the same as B8 S4/S5 (NOT B6 S4 - see below).
321mm B5 S4 discs
Goodridge SS lines for B5 S4 calipers (should work)
Al uprights from a B6
RS4 lower control arms (I believe these should work with the uprights.. haven't tested yet)
Adjustable upper control SPC arms
Febi Bilstein solid TRE's

As the fronts require removal of the suspension, is there anything else I might as well do/replace while I'm in there?

Rear:
B5 S4 Calipers & carriers
B6 S4 300mm discs
034 Bracket & SS Line kit

As the rear suspension doesn't really need to come out, I'll inspect and attack at a later time if anything looks shagged.

Got NO pads at all, quickest online website to get DS2500 from?
Might as well get new bearings for the B6 uprights too.

EDIT: Clarified 3.0tdi cross reference

Last edited:
A5 has a slightly different offset does it not?

I had a 320mm A5 disk not that long ago and it sits about 6-7mm further inboard than the S4 disk.

I guess the question is wether they changed the carrier or the hub to accommodate that difference?

ETKA suggests the A5 setup is the same as the B8 A4.

Whereas what you ideally want is calipers/carriers from a B7 A4 (which are shared with A6 and A8 models)

Arghh it took ages to find these.
My ETKA expired but from what I remember the caliper & carrier PNs were the same as B7 A4.
The offset was in the rotor and the bore size was different hence the B5 S4 disc.

I'm now doubting my thoughts because brake pad dimensions are different.
Ferodo examples:
A5 8T ( & B8 A4)
FDB4045 : Brake Pad Set, disc brake
Fitting Position Front Axle
Height 1 (mm) 67,0
Height 2 (mm) 72,3
Length (mm) 155,2
Quality FER4251
Thickness (mm) 19,80
Wear Warning Contact Incl. wear warning contact
Weight (kg) 2,097

B7 A4, C6 A6 (1LT):
Height (mm) 74
Inspection Tag E990R01208/934
Length (mm) 156
Number of Wear Indicators 2
Thickness (mm) 20.1
Wear Warning Contact Incl. wear warning contact
Weight (kg) 2,5

OR (1LG/1LD/1ZL/1LH)

Height (mm) 72.8
Inspection Tag E990R01208/897
Length 1 (mm) 155
Length 2 (mm) 156
Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info With accessories
Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info 2 With piston clip
Thickness (mm) 20.2
Weight (kg) 2,7

now i'm confused as ****

Last edited:
Just noticed mine are TRW not ATE calipers. Which means it's a pair of massive 188mm pads.

In case it doesn't work, going to to just use B5 S4 calipers in the interim.
Can't delay any longer as risk failing the MOT equivalent here.

Clearing this up after some further research today.
Download this.. it'll assist:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/assets/EBC UK & Intl Brake Pads & Shoes January 2013.xlsx
Notice the B8 S4 & S5 4.2 & 3.0T use the DP1986 pad. It has the same footprint as ferodo FDP4044 and listed as a Girling/TRW caliper.

DP1495 & FDP4045 are for the older ATE calipers fitted to many later B7 A4s, A6s, inc the B6 & B7 S4 etc.

The misinformation (can't trust internet forums 101) arose where people who swapped from B8 S4 or S5 calipers onto (i.e.) B6 A4s said they were the same. Maybe they got away using the OEM pads that came with the kit they've managed to purchase or even ended up using the "old" footprint, somehow. OR, US deliveries had the old ATE caliper from factory until MY13 (AFAIK). Regardless, that doesn't concern us.

Will have them on within a fortnight with OEM pads which are used. Correct PN for anyone doing this upgrade (generalise as B8 brakes) is FCP4044.

Yeh theres probably some cross over.

I guess the real issue is wether or not the disk offset change is related to the caliper/carrier, or the hub/upright.

It may be that the caliper geometry remained the same, but the hub changed, such that they had to alter the disk offset.

I'll see if there are any common brake parts between the models that might shed some more light.

Assuming the B8 S4/S5 calipers in US Spec cars is the same TRW caliper rather than ATE then definitely possible, since this swap has been done on B6 A4s thus far.
I also can't find information on different rotors for the B8 chassis cars. So if rotors are the same and the offset is in the hub & rotor, the caliper induced offset should be the same between ATE/TRW and this would mean it's not a concern.

I'm confident they'll be good to go, just going to try since I already have them and nothing to lose.
Got to make some follow ups in regards to the RS4 control arm kit. I believe the lower front arm housing the shock absorber bolt is a direct fit to the B6 uprights with B5 suspension (shocks/struts). Worst case scenario, we'll do what others already done and use a B6/B7 lower arm with a spacer to fill the void.

The RS4 arm should work fine.

I believe some passats also use the same RS4 front arm with the small balljoint and big bush for the shock, as do some A6's