I.C.E ???

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Here goes,

right im sick of the poor excuse of a sound system in my TQS, and was wandering what options are out there the n/s/r shelf speaker has a metal thing on the bottom that has wiring and transistors etc now the mounting point are broken and its cable tied up been like this from when i got it and its starting to **** me off more and more each day as theres a rattle from that area may be pillar trim cover though needs investigating.

so i was wandering whats the best route to go get a replacement/used OEM speaker or change both for aftermarket ones also want to get a sub and amp but dont have a clue when it comes to this sort of stuff never really looked into it. Also is there any way of upgrading the door speakers aswell ?????

So what setup do you have in yours ???? mostly saloons but avant owners can post to so pics please !!!

I've got the Bose system in my tqs. But it you want a good sound system go for some high end speakers up front like some Hertz or JL's and a nice smooth sounding sub to compliment the fronts. You want to try to create a sound stage like your at a concert as such.

Anyone know what the max depth is of speakers? I have some 5.25 in the doors and I remember I had to trim some door metal off to get them in. Would like to change to 6.25s as one of the speakers are beginning to rattle.

What are you starting from?

What i did was this:

Pioneer head unit, concert is a POS so junk that to start with.
Pre outs from head unit to boot.
One amplifier driving a 12" subwoofer
One amplifer driving the standard Audi door speakers.

In the saloon i threw the shelf speakers in the bin, as running shelf speakers and a sub is stupid. If you wanted to, get some avant rear door cards as they have their speakers mounted there instead. On the saloon i just run the front two and the subwoofer, i dont sit in the back, so i dont need rear speakers. On the Avant i run all four door speakers and the sub.

I tried changing door speakers years ago, but the fitment is so awkward they ended up sounding worse. This time round i just left them alone.

I find that now i have a subwoofer, you take the bass load off the door speakers and drive them with a decent clean signal from a good amp, they actually sound perfectly fine, so i'll be leaving them alone.

My setup is the minimum you want TBH, if you like to go further with upgraded door speakers etc then fine, but you need the signals sorted first, and that means proper amp and a subwoofer.

Im presently running: Stock BOSE speakers (parcel shelf ones removed), Pioneer HU, 2x JL 10" subs and amp in the boot.

Door speakers are un-amped and running straight off the Pioneer. Sound quality is pretty good to be honest until you are well into the 30's on the HU, even then only a little distortion.

I fitted a full system consisting of;

JVC AVX2 headunit
Hertz HSK 5.25 Comps front doors on custom mounts in factory location
2x10"JL Audio subs in a sealed enclosure
Alpine 4ch V12 running front comps
JL Audio Mono for subs

Plenty pics in my build thread of it.