Volks AutosChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bradderz_1988

Thread: Unusual engine noise...

Midlands regional Moderator

Status

Unusual engine noise...

Guys, noticed an odd noise today...

A "tick tick tick" that increases frequency with engine rpm, sounds similar to either a plastic flap or possibly a shorted HT spark click, but no obvious impact on engine running. Sounds more localized to the inlet manifold area...

Any suggestions on what to check? Can't find anything obvious.
    Currently rolling in a SKODA!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    I noticed something similar near runner 1 @ injector but wasnt really that fussed as could only hear it with my head literally over it, only other thing is check its not coming from back of the valve cover as this could mean the pick up is starting to block up snd not enough pressure to get the oil to the CCT also check all pipe work check valves solenoids etc easiest way is get a screwdriver or 3/8 extension bar and just place it on s few components and listen through it like a stethoscope if thats how you spell it lol see if the noise is more audible through it !!
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

Status
    doesn't sound like its the CCT, sounds further forward than that. its quite prominent, can hear it outside of the car with the bonnet shut...

Status
    Use my method above see if you can pin point it to a certain component/area. oh and check the classifieds theres an S4 bumper with your name all over it lol

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrkon View Post
    Guys, noticed an odd noise today...

A "tick tick tick" that increases frequency with engine rpm, sounds similar to either a plastic flap or possibly a shorted HT spark click, but no obvious impact on engine running. Sounds more localized to the inlet manifold area...

Any suggestions on what to check? Can't find anything obvious.
    I've got exactly the same from time to time comming from the are box though. Quite odd.

Status

Unusual engine noise...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradderz_1988 View Post
    Use my method above see if you can pin point it to a certain component/area. oh and check the classifieds theres an S4 bumper with your name all over it lol
    Will have a nose around tonight...
    Yeah seen it mate, unfortunately with my WB conversion and new turbo, funds don't allow for it at the mo

Status

Unusual engine noise...

Status
    Iceash if yours is near the airbox it may be the purge canister solenoid valve they do tend to tick will be louder if the nipple or pipes are split/cracked.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    bent rod?.....

Status

Unusual engine noise...

Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    bent rod?.....
    Thanks got me panicking now lol

Odd thing is, it's gone away now lol, comes back intermittently...

2nd Gear

Status
    Iceash if yours is near the airbox it may be the purge canister solenoid valve they do tend to tick will be louder if the nipple or pipes are split/cracked.
    Does that ticking change speed then?

Status
    One of the Aux pulley bearings ?? ageing belt ?? Sticky injector ???

bent rod ..... whats one of them lol

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceash View Post
    Does that ticking change speed then?
    not to sure but i would of thought so as the engine pulls more air the ecu will open the solenoid more so i would at a guess say yes it should.
    Iceash likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    not to sure but i would of thought so as the engine pulls more air the ecu will open the solenoid more so i would at a guess say yes it should.
    This is also my guess its defo coming from the airbox area

Status
    This is also my guess its defo coming from the airbox area

Take the airbox cover off and where the aircon pipes emerge in this area there will be a brown solenoid on the airbox with two wires going to it with 2 pipes either side one goes into the wing one to the turbo inlet pipe have a listen to the solenoid and have a 'GENTLE' poke at the pipes not to rough as the solenoids break down and ten to snap the nipples as i found out so i just bodged it as a new one is £75 from dealers, so if anyone has one spare and wants to post it me feel free lol

2nd Gear

Status
    Take the airbox cover off and where the aircon pipes emerge in this area there will be a brown solenoid on the airbox with two wires going to it with 2 pipes either side one goes into the wing one to the turbo inlet pipe have a listen to the solenoid and have a 'GENTLE' poke at the pipes not to rough as the solenoids break down and ten to snap the nipples as i found out so i just bodged it as a new one is £75 from dealers, so if anyone has one spare and wants to post it me feel free lol
    I'll wait till it gets noisy all the time only notice it now n then. Least I know it's working. ABS is on my hit list then the dash. Think my Module has a crack in the connection somewhere. As it trips the Red Warning light then goes straight out. Stupid car lol.

Status
    I'll wait till it gets noisy all the time only notice it now n then. Least I know it's working. ABS is on my hit list then the dash. Think my Module has a crack in the connection somewhere. As it trips the Red Warning light then goes straight out. Stupid car lol.
    sounds like it maybe one of the abs reluctor's has cracked on one of the rear driveshafts have you checked these ??

2nd Gear

Status
    sounds like it maybe one of the abs reluctor's has cracked on one of the rear driveshafts have you checked these ??
    funny you say that. There is a crack in One of them as it pulses when you come to a stop. Just never set the abs alarm off before

Status
    It may have weathered/corroded slightly and increased the gap so the abs maybe picking it up id get it clamped up and spot welded to the shaft and then she what happens.

2nd Gear

Status
    Good point well made. :-)