S4 Rear Discs/Calipers onto A4 Quattro?

• Thread starter imported_VaulterTim
  • Start date
I

imported_VaulterTim

I've been wondering for a while and can't find a definitive answer through searching on here...

Are they a direct replacement?

I know the discs are thicker because they are vented as opposed to the standard solid discs on the normal quattros...

Is there an issue with hub size etc.? Are the calipers actually different and if so, do they have different carriers or does the whole hub need to be changed?

Opinions would be appreciated...

Cheers

Tim

Cheers Kris, great bit of info.

Seems the S4 (and A8) calipers are different then...

Thanks

T

After reading the article not sure why an S4 owner would want to put A8 rear brakes on their car if it involved machining the carriers when rear brakes from an RS4 go straight on.

Tim,
Shame you don't live closer to me. While my S4 is off the road I can easily take of a caliper and rear disc for you to compare on your car.

John

John,

That IS a shame, mine is also off the orad but at the bodyshop for the duration I'm afraid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, looking forward to it's completion then I can get on with the turbo and other bits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What size are RS4 rears?

I think what that article was getting at was the A8 discs are bigger than S4 discs but as you say, if the RS4 discs will go straight on (and are indeed bigger) then why bother? Interesting upgrade...

ECS do a complete rear kit for the A4 Quattro that uses even bigger discs (306 x 22mm vented) but with custom carriers and S4 calipers but it's a lot money when added to an equivalent front kit.

(Time for another Group Buy Richard me-ladddo!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

I was considering a front upgrade from them coupled to possibly an S4 rear conversion (if I could find the parts cheaply enough) since it has vented discs and the A4 Quattro does not.

Options, and eyes, still open for now!

Cheers

Tim