TQS lowering spring question

jgttdi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a A4 1.8T Quattro sport and was looking to lower it a bit, can anyone show me some of there pictures or any recommendations of springs to buy? I'm looking to fit 18 inch wheels too.

thanks in advance J

I have fitted Eibach pro to my TQS, not much of a difference to be honest, maybe 10mm lower on the front but no difference on the rear !

This is mine on Eibach Pro kit:

P1040570.JPG

Be warned that you need to buy the "non-aircon" springs if you want it to sit right. The "aircon" springs are actually designed for the V6 models, and with those the front sits up stupidly.

Most of the time the rear end wont drop that much as the standard 12 year old springs will be sagged and/or broken. The front should drop a lot though.

Heres a sample of how my avant looked back when it was on standard springs:

100_4147.JPG

You can see the rear end isnt that different between the avant and the saloon but the front has dropped down nicely to match it.

The Eibach Pro Kit is where its at for a comfortable road car that handles well.

Ok thanks for the replies, so you if i buy Eibach pro kit (non aircon) just for A4 1.8T quattro? Or do i have to specify that its a TQS?

Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the top info, i will get them ordered up. :icon_thumright:

I have looked at the suspension and have found that the rear shocks are red and the front are black? The reason for me wanting lowering springs was due to the car sitting high at the front. I have been offered a set of standard S4 shocks with 40mm lowering springs, will this work and give me an equal ride height on my car?Please help, thanks again

S4 engine weighs a LOT more than the 1.8T and will not sit right or have the right spring rate for your car.

OEM shocks are red, not sure what the fronts will be, if they're black they've probably been changed.

They will physically fit, however I doubt you will get an even ride hight as the S4 engine is alot heavier, so I think on the 1.8T you will have a nose up stance.

Standard TQS should have red shocks front and back, so your fronts have been replaced at some point, is there a name plate/sticker on them?

Edit: ^^Same!

Last edited:
I have looked at the suspension and have found that the rear shocks are red and the front are black? The reason for me wanting lowering springs was due to the car sitting high at the front. I have been offered a set of standard S4 shocks with 40mm lowering springs, will this work and give me an equal ride height on my car?Please help, thanks again
I do have a pair of standard 1.8TQS front springs and shocks if you need them, drop me a pm if you wish. I am breaking a 1.8TQS avant so everything is available. Drop me a pm if you want ! Regards,
Chris- 07789912128.

The guy said that he had the front shocks replaced due to a knocking from the front but it turned out to be a top link, although he just left the front shocks on. The fronts are black and sits around 20mm higher than the back so i have reverse rake which looks awful.

Sulli79 i will have a look for any stickers etc.

adamss24 you have a PM.

Thanks J

So i have replaced the front springs and shocks with genuine tqs items but the suspension ride height sits much the same as before, its higher at the front than the back by around 2 inches.

Any ideas?

It actually sits like chris' car, is this normal ride height?

snowstaplehill09_zpsb9177fb8.jpg

Last edited:
Not the best angle but this is my car on stock suspension, please note there was plenty gear in the boot !
DSCN0228.jpg

I would relax the top suspension arms by slackening the bolts then re-tighten with the wheels on the ground ! The springs keep the car up and the red shocks are shorter than standard black/SE shocks. The springs and shocks were off this car, only reason i changed due to snapped rear springs so i upgraded to eibach Pro springs and heavy duty sports shocks !

Last edited:
So would relaxing the top arms do anything for the ride height etc?Thanks again for the picture

Technically one should not tighten the arms without the full weight of the car resting on the floor, however garages will tend to do a lot of work in the air with suspension in a relaxed state. The weight of the car should rest on the springs- hence the saying sprung weight, however top suspension arms bushes torsion as the car goes up and down and they will fail before time if tighten off load. Cannot see any reason why your car should look higher at the front compared to the rear, what are the paint color and how many dots on the rear springs?

If you look at the pic of the purple avant above, you can see it has exactly the same stance.

The rear springs are fairly crap, and either sag or snap (or both), whereas the fronts seem much better and tend to maintain their original length. As such most B5 Quattros on original suspension have that reverse rake stance.

When you fit the eibach kit, you'll find the rear doesnt really change, but the front will drop down to match it.

Or fit new rear springs and it'll lift the rear end up.

Thanks again aragorn, decided on eibachs, will update when there fitted.

Thanks J