Trip Computer question

MaverickTDi

Reaction score
A bit confused, all the different parameters the on board computer gives you works, as far as I'm aware, fine, however, the trip distance, that sits under your total mileage figure, always zero's everytime I drive the car? I thought this just counts until you physically reset it using the black push button? Also the mpg and range figure change, for example, driving to work with 1/2 a tank of diesel the range was indicating 320miles and 53mpg, turned the car on to go home 9hrs later and the range had changed to 150 miles and the mpg had reset itself? I thought these sort of parameters stayed constant until you reset them on the right hand stalk?

...and the weirdness continues!

Driving to Brentwood from Norfolk, so a good 100mile trip, I reset the trip mileage and mpg and set off, all working fine then about 70miles in on the M25 doing 70mph the all the dash gauges, oil temp, rev counter, speedo, water temp, fuel and battery voltage all drop out and the needle deflects fully counter clockwise then back to normal, no warning lights popped up and the car continued to drive as normal!?!

Can anyone suggest what could be wrong?

I had something similar here DIS dead

I gave up in the end and replaced the dash insert - although I still have the original that ECU testing retested FOC still with No Fault Found, and reflowed the joints so it may now be ok!

I had something similar here DIS dead

I gave up in the end and replaced the dash insert - although I still have the original that ECU testing retested FOC still with No Fault Found, and reflowed the joints so it may now be ok!

Thanks for your link, made interesting reading indeed! The problems you mention with your car are slightly similar to mine. Sometimes the computer will reset itself overnight i.e. Trip miles have zero'd and fuel range/mpg have zero'd. It was just alittle concerning that all the gauges just dropped out then straight back to normal, similar to some cars that when you switch ignition on it perform a BIT before engine start.

The push button BIT works fine, I've no issues with that what so ever, works everytime.

So how did a new dash insert cure the problem??

Thanks.

It was just the DIS and screen that dropped out.

I think the power supply to the DIS, which is built in, had a bad joint/track/component - as B5 Biker said.
Since fitting the new insert, it's been fine. I may fit the old one back as it's been reflowed by ECU testing and tested for a while NFF.

I'm sure there are posts on here regarding silliness with the stalk button playing about as well.

Reading again, with all your dials dropping off too, I would check the plugs at the back.

Last edited:
It was just the DIS and screen that dropped out.

I think the power supply to the DIS, which is built in, had a bad joint/track/component - as B5 Biker said.
Since fitting the new insert, it's been fine. I may fit the old one back as it's been reflowed by ECU testing and tested for a while NFF.

I'm sure there are posts on here regarding silliness with the stalk button playing about as well.

Reading again, with all your dials dropping off too, I would check the plugs at the back.

Cheers Paul,

I'll look in to that. Went for another longish drive today, no probs what so ever.