What oil for rear diff?

Nick101

Boost fiend
Reaction score
Thinking of changing oil on rear diff.

How often does this need to be done?

What is the best stuff to use, and where to buy from?

Is it difficult to do?

I drained mine when my CV bolts went holding the driveshaft to the diff.

My mate bought this stuff to put in his 200sx but he ended up breaking it for parts and never used it, it's the right spec for the diffe on my S4 so I bought it off him. My god it was a pain in the **** to do though. Had trouble getting enough clearance to get the bottle high enough to get it in. I got 3 bottles, used most of it, I bet a litre of it went on the floor though!

Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil

I was worried it would be a right pita, as there is no space underneath. I will get it on the ramp and have a good look. Would you say I need 3 bottles to do it?

The factory spec is just a basic 90 weight EP gear oil, a decent 75w90 synthetic oil will be a nice upgrade.

And yes, make sure you can get the filler out, as i had real problems with one of mine that was proper siezed and partially rounded off.

Very good point! I have heared horror stories before.

Ill get it on the ramp tomorrow and have a look, see what's what, will get oil ordered then.

Cheers for info guys!

I had to use a air chisel to shock it free as it was siezed solid, i ordered a 5 litre of ebay from a company called smith & allen as i did the gearbox aswel 2.75 gearbox and 1.95 in rear diff. Just got a empty 1 litre gearoil container and a power steering bottle filler kneck and got it in easy enough.

So it's fine to use the same stuff for gearbox and diff? May aswel do both while its there and I have the oil.