My A4 1.9 TDI Quattro 110bhp - what upgrades/tuning/diagnostics???

infectus-guy

Reaction score
I recently bought the above as a daily driver and went for the quattro because i want something that will trailer my Lancia Delta to hillclimbs. Initially it was a decision made with the head not the heart but having driven it around i'm really starting to love it, i've even washed it every month which is VERY unnlike me!!! Got audi 18's (bit fancy but they've grown on me), lower/stiffer suspension, also S4 interior and a front splitter. Aaaaaaannnyway, first thing i did was give it an oil/filter change and make/fit some ERG blanking plugs. Then some silicone inlet hoses as the old ones were starting to split and leak. Fuel filter will be next then a cambelt wouldn't hurt.

The crankcase breather is leaking from where it comes out of the block, but it looks like i've got to strip a load of pipework out just to see it. Any ideas what it looks like and what i need to fix it?

What VAGCOM gear do i need buy to read the fault codes?

The hydraulic lifters tap a bit on startup, is there a cause for this other than the lifters themselves wearing out.

Its got a breaker box fitted, not sure what its really doing to the fueling though but i'd really like to do a few simple mods (decat) then get it rolling roaded - any idea where to go bearing in mind i'm in the southwest (Torquay)? What other power freeing mods can i do? (already has a straight-through stainless exhuast.)

The clutch bite point is quite high, is that something i can adjust out or is the the clutch on its way out?

Gearstick feels a little bit sloppy, are there some linkages that are prone to wear?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Guy

Great car mate - rare too, i hear so don't do anything too drastic!
I got the Avant 110 with FWD so it's a little lighter.

clutch feel sometimes improves from bleeding the brake/clutch system but mine has a low bite point an been like that for 2 years.
a mate's one had this solved with a new slave cylinder, so may not be clutch plates.

Never heard of a breaker box - is it an air filter?

anyway, I got a cheeky remap for 200 notes which gives it just over 300Nm running on biodiesel
that's probably the best value way to improve torque without soldering resistors onto the fuelpump or other nonsense
MPG is the same as before and 200RPM lower motorway cruising...
with a decat that should be better still

If you can get high quality biodiesel it's worth running a couple o tankfulls before swapping the fuel filter - cleans it all out loverly!
P)

Rare, yeah tell me about it! Took almost a year to find one that wasn't too shabby and the right price (£1600 with 140k on the clock). Bodywork is pretty good, but trim in and outside is held on with self tappers so theres another job for a not so rainy day. I'll get some pics up soon, its in that dark blue thats got a slightly purpley pearl effect.

Good thinking on the clutch, i'm so used to cables that i forgot about bleeding it!

Breaker box is what i heard my mechanic mate call it, just a little piggyback ECU that modifies the signal. Probably just tells it its running a bit colder so throws more fuel in, not ideal so i want to remove it and get it on the rollers like you have done. I think i'm at about 42-44mpg, hard to tell because the info centre screen is dodgy (is that a common one?).

Mate of mine is on about making biodiesel the proper way with all the kit, so would like to run some of that anyway.
Guy

I had a German tuning box on mine [proper 299 euro one] for a couple of weeks...
took it off and got a proper remap
box just made it feel overfuelled all the time
remap is like the engine runs as it should - just with more torque!
P)

Any idea which filter i need?

AudiFuelFilter_zps09ffcb00.jpg

Fuel Filter AUDI A4 1.9 TDI quattro 96 01 Estate | eBay

or this-

Fuel Filter AUDI A4 1.9 TDI quattro 96>01 Estate | eBay

Cheers,
Guy