audi newbie with hissing noise after engine shuts off

thedukes

Reaction score
hi all, i have just brought an a4 which has been standing for a while 11 months ish, just had new mot on it, and drives amazing, its around 150k but drives like a much younger car, main question is

when i switch off engine after a run there is a hissing noise from engine bay seems to be from expansion tank area.

the length of time can vary not seemingly related to the length of drive.

also have had a couple of times when temp sensor reads 60 on motorway then returns to 90 but not ever over in traffic???

oil temp never seems to rise above 60 either??? am i missing something??

please help am totally now an audi man but just learning the ropes

regards luke.

Welcome to audi-sport.net Luke. The guys will help you with advice. Happy New Year and enjoy the forum. :) x

Hissing will be the air-con so don't worry. Prob best turn it off this time of year. Mines bust and I don't miss it

It could also be a bad seal on the expansion tank cap. Have a closer listen, if its the AC it will be coming from the battery area, rather than from the expansion tank itself.

The temperature thing is probably the thermostat, get a new one fitted.

hi guys

yep its air con many thanks

just discovered wet foot well last night, it seems after looking on forum its prob a blocked drain, i hopee to god it aint matrix!!! altho i dont loose any coolant yet:)

i need to change front and rear brakes and discs got a quote for org spec

front discs(pair) 60 inc
rear discs (pair) 38 inc
front pads 42
rear pads 23

i was thinking of upgrading but not got loads of cash, is it worth using grooved/drilled do they actually make a big diff say over just a better make of standard disk??

any advise please.

many thanks again

luke

Hi

I have the same problem with my air con also , my car put the air con on its self and costing me a fortune in fuel i wonder if there is a fuse that i can pull to stop it ??

Hi

I have the same problem with my air con also , my car put the air con on its self and costing me a fortune in fuel i wonder if there is a fuse that i can pull to stop it ??

Press the econ button on your climate control unit, that switches off the ac, you may need to press it again after selecting another mode