Cam chain tensioner change...........

Topplumb1

Reaction score
So guys, having had a couple of weeks off work, and done lots of research on this - me and my big bro set to and changed the cam chain tensioner on my 1999 1.8t sport quattro, because it was making that rattling sound, when we got the old one off (after doing all the necessary marking of 16 links on chain between cams and only removing the inlet cam etc) we found that the chain runners had quite a deep groove worn into them, which probably did not help, so fitted new one making sure not to move the the engine even a millimetre as we are all aware if you do it totally **** ,s the timing up !! Reassembled all dissassembled parts, went and had a brew - this was because it said on elsawin to leave the engine for half an hour after turning it by hand to ensure none of the inlet valves strike the piston heads, I came back out and fired up the quattro !!
Engine sounded quieter after reaching normal operating temp around 70 deg on temp gauge, but there is still a slight rattle from somewhere on or in the inlet manifold perhaps the inlet cam? or maybe the lifters? I am thinking of running an oil flush through the engine and changing the oil - it was changed about 10 months ago for 5w 40, no sludged was evident and not really very dirty on changing but did not cure the rattle (hence I changed the tensioner) I am now thinking maybe oil pickup pipe in sump maybe partially blocked, there was plenty of oil on the inside of the cam cover on removal, also not checked the oil pressure, the temp of the oil does not move much on the gauge above 60 deg, is this the correct temp? Never has done in the 5 years of owning the car. Even after a long journey the temp stays the same.

Any advice from experts welcome, I know it is a big job to take the sump off, so looking at a last resort to do this.

Thanks for the reply and info spartacus - those pictures are very informative, I did'nt realise the holes in the mesh are so small ! I am going to have to do some research on getting that sump off.

Had the same problem on my 1.8 N/A 98 audi. Got cam chain tensioner changed and still ratlled then got the oil pump changed and problem was solved.

Thanks for that last link spartacus - those pictures are very interesting, not sure if that car has sports suspension though like mine, as he mentions the car does not leave the road, with sports suspension if I lay on the ground I can just about get half my arm uder the car with the wheels on the road !