Inlet manifold swap??

scr8pdo

Reaction score
Iam going to have a go at cleaning the inlet side of things as I have put in another thread, but to save some down time on my car, I was considering buying a 2nd hand inlet manifold, then cleaning that before I strip my car down and then I could just swap it over once it was cleaned.

My question is: is my engine the AFN? its the 110 BHP VE one, not the PD, or would it matter if I was to put a later one on, would I benefit from say a later PD manifold because of a better design etc or would it take a lot of modification to fit on my car.

Any help would be great, Steve :)

Your car will benefit from a pd 130 manifold, you will also need the boost pipes from inter cooler and the plastic hard pipe which connects to the inlet manifold. While you there, buy a allard Egr valve delete so you can benefit from more flow to the engine as well... If you need a manifold then I have one in good nick, yours for £50...

My airbox is non existant, it has a cone filter straight onto the inlet duct, so what exactly would I need bearing that in mind ? So I need I/C pipes, but is the I/cooler itself the same? and the hard plastic pipe???

I suggest you fit back the air box, it's much better at filtering crap than any cone filter. You will need the plastic pipe and boost pipes at a minimum, the inter cooler is slightly larger on the pd engine but not by much. Stock cooler is good to over 180Bhp so would not upgrade it unless running at least a bv43 turbo. Intake manifold has better designed runners so the engine breathes better + let's you use a Egr delete and also add a boost gauge if necessary.

I suggest you fit back the air box, it's much better at filtering crap than any cone filter. You will need the plastic pipe and boost pipes at a minimum, the inter cooler is slightly larger on the pd engine but not by much. Stock cooler is good to over 180Bhp so would not upgrade it unless running at least a bv43 turbo. Intake manifold has better designed runners so the engine breathes better + let's you use a Egr delete and also add a boost gauge if necessary.

Thanks for the reply mate, maybe it already has the 130 manifold as the car seems to have been some what modded, it does already have a boost gauge fitted, is there any way to tell by looking?

Whoever had the car previous has spent a lot of money on it in the past by the looks of it and may have made some minor mods, ie it has a full set of new coilovers all round, 19" alloys, boost gauge, also has a tuning box fitted along with what looks like a lot of mods to the boost and vac pipes, some blanked in places, it also seems very quick off the mark for a 1.9 TDi Audi but it lacks top end and feels restricted higher in the rev range, hence the idea of cleaning the manifold.

So is there any obvious way I could tell if it has already had the manifold upgrade??

While iam at it all, I plan to replace all the vac lines as a precautionary measure, I have owned a lot of Turbo cars in the past, mainly T5 Volvos and know that boost and vac leaks play a massive part in poor performance, I always use fuel hoses instead of silicone for a couple reasons:

1 I cant stand the lairy colours that silicone pipes come in, it can make the engine bay look like a big ball of dayglo blue spaghetti :)
2 Fuel hose is reinforced and very strong compared to warm floppy silicone hose and will stand up to abuse better
3 Fuel hose is readily available and cheap.

I understand also that there is a length of vac hose within the ECU? If so where is the ECU located, I havent even looked for it yet.

I just waiting for the weather to improve a bit then I will have a stab at it, meanwhile I have been squirelling all the parts, oil and fuel filters, 5 litres of Halfords fully syn 5/30, I off to get the fuel hose, gaskets etc.

I have been looking online at this engine and I love the way you could see nigh on 200 bhp from a fairly small diesel engine with a few mods, iam not looking for that sort of power but would love to see a genuine 140ish and it seems quite capable of this with the right bits, but first on the list is to get it running right at a standard rate, ie the intake all degunked and no vac/boost leaks.

A great forum BTW :)

Post a picture of the engine bay, that will tell me if it's modded and has more than just a EGR blanking plate !

This is pd 130 manifold with Alard EGR delete pipe:
DSCN1252.jpg

This is stock 110Bhp manifold:
DSCF5077.jpg

DSCF3954.jpg