Any threads on cleaning the inlet manifold and EGR??? (1.9 TDi 110 BHP)

scr8pdo

Reaction score
A lot of people have told me that I should expect my inlet manifold to be well gunked up with carbon as the engine has done a few miles (201k) I wondered if there were any threads on the subject and any tips??

My car appears to have been WELL maintained, I have full S/H with it, but its also had a fair few mods and a few little performance niggles:

You can see someone has replaced the airfilter with a stainless cone, and there are a few breather mods like a oil catch tank, it also has a tuning box installed, now off the mark the car is RAPID in the first few revs, it will easily spin the 19" wheels in the dry if you are not careful, it doesnt take much at all, if you change the gears quick and on power it will accelerate very well indeed, but if you over rev it it will cough and splutter a bit, almost cut out and billow a cloud of smoke out the back.

What is strange, is if I take it on the motorway and give it some, it will initially get up there quick, but it wont like going over 90 and if Ive been out on the motorway for a while, when I come off, it seems like the all the low down grunt has dissapeared like the quick acceleration, it will still run ok but wont rev as quick (weird) but once cooled down the next day the power is back??

So i was about to give it a quick service and whilst at it have a look at the inlet side of things, to see if I have any big build up of gunk, to be honest, I love the car round town its superb and quick and good on fuel, but its dissapointing on the motorway as it feels a bit strained, plus it has coilovers all round and they feel a bit firm for a long run, other than that as I say its a great car and a good looker with FSH and I LOVE the colour, its a metallic blue but almost purple/violet, anyone know what its called??

I have found a few bits on YT about cleaning/decoking the inlets on these old TDis by burning with a blowlamp and a compressor to clear the manifold, it does feel restricted at full bore which would seem to point to a gunked up inlet, so I will give that a go then do a EGR delete to keep it cleaner.

Any other tips will be welcomed, all the best Ste :)