urgent help please re: front hub

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

It's been a while since posting but need some help.

I went to replace all discs and pads on my sister's B5.5 passat today. I got round to my last wheel, the offside front. Whilst trying to undo the caliper carrier bolts, these were an absolute pig to get off and now I know why. They had been fitted cross threaded!! As a result the thread in the hub have been stripped!!

I'm picking up a new leg/hub tomorrow morning from a breakers yard. The car is on a drive and whilst I have most hand tools I have no access to air tools or a pit etc.

Now I know the job is going to be a tw#t to do but what would be the easiest way to get the old leg off?! I've changed the full suspension before on my old a4 avant. Exactly the same as the pissrat. I'm hoping I don't have to take everything off like I did on the Audi!! I gave all the bolts and nuts a good clean up and a soaking with penetrating oil.

Please tell me the easiest way to do this?! I'm rushing because it my works Xmas do tonight and I won't get any signal tomorrow to check the forum for answers.

Many thanks for any input you guys can give me.

Cheers

Dan

it all hinges on the pinchbolt really.

If it comes out easily then it should all go nice and smoothly and take a couple of hours.

If its stuck, well you'll be there a while :p

As for a step by step...

First thing you need to do is undo the CV bolt, then loosen the pinch bolt, pop the lower balljoints and undo the track rod end then drop it out!

Cheers Kev.

Do i not need to remove the arm with the shocker attached to it? Would this not be putting too much tension onto bottom ball joint to pop off??

Dan

doubt it
when you lift the car the bulk of the shock travel is taken out

you can either use a ball joint splitter, a pry bar and hammer or a suitably sized punch in the recess of the lower arm ball joint bolt

if this lot hasnt been off for a while save you knuckles and soak everything at least overnight in penetrating oil (at least overnight preferably with several applications)
when you refit the pinch bolt dry the bore of the arm and line it with grease. you will thank yourself the next time.

personally I would fit a new bearing to the new arm while you are at it. for the cost of a new bearing and some tea and biscuits for a local engineer to press it out and it it will be worth it

you dont want to find out the hard way it is goosed, especially if it has been stored for a while off the car

Well I got the job done after some blood sweat and tears!!

Pinch bolt was a tw@t! But removed whole leg and took to an engineers who 'vibrated' the pinch bolt loose! so no heat was used and no damage to the top control arms! And he didn't even charge me for 20mins works!

Bearing and hub on the replacement leg was new!! So another bonus!

RE-fitting was a doddle and all back together now.

I've just got to replace the N/S/R as its seizing on. Seal around piston is goosed.
Can I crimp the very short flexi pipe to swap caliper over? Or do i need to do a FULL bleed on it?

Dan