99 TQS Fuel problems.

kenlaw50n

Reaction score
Hi guys got issues with the amount of fuel the car seams to be using at the moment since its MOT. It failed the MOT initially on emissions and was advised by garage to put some cleaner through it ( I had reservations but was ensured it would do no damage).

The problem is that I will drive the car to shops, work, ect and it will say 50 miles left once i park it up. Then when i come back to it a few hours later and start it up it will then say 35 miles left. My drive is on a slight hill and thought that this might be the cause of it, so cleared the garage out and started parking it in there over night but still get the same thing what ever it reads when you finish a journey it then read around 10 - 15 miles less the next time you come to it. Currently getting around 50 miles out of a tenner.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Ken

"50 miles to a tenner" is fairly useless at actually judging consumption because its such a small amount of fuel the error is huge. The guage also isnt hugely accurate especially when dealing with small volumes. If you run it down from a full tank it'll generally be pretty good, but ******* around with a tenner here and there just doesnt give it the data to produce a good range calculation.

Having said that, a tenner buys you 7.4 litres of fuel at £1.35 per litre.

Thats about 1.6 gallons, meaning your returning about 30.5mpg which to be honest is pretty good, especially if your mostly doing short around-town journeys.

If i use my car solely for short trips it returns about 25mpg, and will do 30-32 ish if i'm doing longer motorway trips.

I agree with Aragorn. 50 miles on a tenner is what i'd expect. Her TQS does a little better than mine,but in real life it's about right. Are you using super unleaded or normal crap?

Sounds pretty good when you say it like. Dunno where you're buying feul it's £1.297 here at the mo, not even gona attempt to work that out as will prob be minimal. Got a longer journey on friday so will see how it goes. and might start using that fuelly thing on your sig.

I put £50 a week in mine and i do roughly 30 miles a day 6 days a week before i have to fuel again so i get about 180 miles out of 50 quid and thats probably half motorway half round town at roughly £1.31 per litre

Yeh super is ~1.35 around here, normal stuff is more like 1.30 but i dont use that.

fuelly only works if you brim the tank every time, otherwise you cant calculate MPG

Sounds about right for mine too. About £70 plus a bit for a full tank and 350 plus a little miles. Just had my thermostat changed and that makes a little bit better too and some heat brrrr