B5 Rear Ride Height Wrong

Ian2012

Reaction score
Here is another one to test you all, i have recently bought an A4 2.8q, it is supposed to be fitted with sports suspension, the front ride height is fine the rear is way too high like nearly 2 inches. Pr code suggests 1BE fitted having spent the morning sorting out seized rear brakes i and staring at the springs and shocks looks to me like it's all been on the car a longtime.

So what would cause the rear to be higher than it should be, i can't imagine there being any sort of way to raise it unless of course it;s got swapped at point in it's life for the wrong ones.

Ta

Ian

At a guess the rear springs have snapped at some point and have been replaced with aftermaket standard springs. I search & search for aftermarket sports springs when one of my rear sports spring snapped, but I could only ever find standard. So my rear is higher than the front (until I get the eibach pro fitted next week) I would look around for an aftermaket set as the eibach pro set I got was just under £200 and Audi wanted over £400 for a full set and that was with a 10% discount from TPS.

Probably as you say and had standard springs fitted at some point by some couldn't give a sh1t repair shop. I've never owned a B5 that hasn't snapped an OE rear spring at some point. I had a bit of hassle trying to source a pair of OE springs and when I did I found it wasn't much more for a full set of the Eibach's. No brainer really mate :)
There is an issue with aircon or NON aircon springs on the TQS but I dont know if that applies to the 2.8 or not.

Call Audi main dealer for specific sports springs. They have coloured dots as visual ID (for example one white dot and two violet). The existing springs will be the same. Spray them with WD40 and wipe down... and all will be revealed. Agree regards broken spring. Just replaced mine in October.

I have an almost-new set of rear springs which should be correct for your car sitting here wanting a new home.

They came from an S4 Saloon, but i'm 95% sure they use the same springs as quattro avants. If you want to be certain we can check the PR code matches.

Drop me a PM if your interested.

There is an issue with aircon or NON aircon springs on the TQS but I dont know if that applies to the 2.8 or not.

??
All QTS had climate - according to my Audi info dated 29 April 1999,
but it did have '30mm lowered sports suspension' that came from quattro GmbH -
so perhaps that's been the "issue" as 30mms is lower than the then standard 'sports suspension'.

Its not the car, its the eibach springs.

Their 1.8TQ springs come in two flavours, "Non-AC" and "AC".

The issue is that the front axle weight on AC cars is slightly higher than non-AC ones, and the TUV approval for the "Non-AC" springs only covers those the lower weight (presumably because they're the same parts used on FWD models, and the quattro is heavier)

Oddly, instead of producing an actual spring for the 1.8T Quattros with a higher front weight, they simply specified them to use the springs from the 2.4 V6 and other larger engined models. The V6 springs are designed for a much heavier engine, and as a result the front of the car sticks away up in the air if you fit the "proper" specified springs.

On both of mine i just ordered the Non-AC kit, which comes with the proper 4 cylinder rated front springs and the car sits spot on.

OK , yes makes sense.
Do the Eibach springs end up the same height as the factory or slightly lower?
I reckon ours could easily use a 10 mms drop, front and rear, without causing too many 'hump' problems.

slightly lower.

Mine sits 25" from arch to the ground, and IMO its about perfect. Doesnt catch on anything and looks good.

i have the same issue on mine although i knew all along it has normal springs and dampers on the rear.
however after a few calls one of the suppliers i used at work did find sport application aftermarket springs, wasn't the same engine code as mine but still listed for a 1.8T. i think they were about £80 for the pair

Thanks for all the replies, i have now sourced from a scrapper 2 complete rear legs inc the top arms for £40 springs look in good shape with minimal rust, paint code is 1 pink and 1 white which is according to etka the right kit for my car and pr code of 1BE. Hope to get them fitted at the weekend.

[QUOTE
I reckon ours could easily use a 10 mms drop, front and rear, without causing too many 'hump' problems.
[/QUOTE]

Measured today and it's
rhfront 665 mms ( 26 3/8")
all others 66cms ( 26")

25" = 63cms........ umm another spend coming on ! But would be silly not to do the 85k dampers at the same time ? !

well my new used complete struts are now can't say it was the easiest of jobs one side was done in 40 mins the other 2 hrs just couldn't the bolt holes to line up until a second pair of hands was employed, car now sits at the right height, unknown springs on the old units, so if anyone wants longer springs then you know where to ask.