Ok as some of you might or might not know, the Face-lift A4 (B5) came with the Symphony unit in the dash. There are no faceplates on the Market to allow you to fit a normal unit so I decided to make one.
Before any one asks or thinks I'm some sort of pro I'm not. I just read a lot of forums and work things out for myself.
So what I did was buy a B6 face plate which was to long and not wide enough so some work had to be done here.
I had to trim the bottom right to its lowest point and skim the top to give me a snug fit top and bottom you will also need to cut down the tabs but check to see how much.
Next was to make the side fit correctly.
Here I used fibreglass filler with a fine mesh to give it strength. This was done by placing some plastic bags to the back of the unit and then putting some of the fibreglass filler on the back then the mesh which I sort of turned in to a long round tube then pushed it on.
Then put the faceplate in the dash and press the mesh in to shape and not allowing it to stick out further than the front.
After this is done you need to put some fibreglass filler in the side to fill the gap either side of the faceplate like in the picture.
Allow to set then remove the faceplate.
You need to rub down the rough edges and apply some body filler; I used P38, as this is flexible and easy to rub down.
You need to keep adding filler and rubbing down taking the face plate back to the car to check the fit and finish.
You now need to primmer the whole faceplate making sure to have keyed the whole face ready for the primmer (I used a plastic primer here). You now need to paint the faceplate with a matt black paint to blend in with the rest of the dash.
This kit came with a pocket that fills the bottom whole but I used this for my EQ