2.8 quattro alternator belt fitting?

205man

Reaction score
my alternator belt is looking quite old and has alot of cracks/gaps in the rib part of the belt so think i need a new one.

how hard is it to fit a new one, do i have to take the fan off or can i work round it and is there any special tools i need or any thing i need to know before i tackle it.

cheers

If its like the S4 then its not easy. You dont need any special tools but you might want to find a small peice of bar or an allen key (about 3mm) to put in the tensioner to hold it open. You open it by rotating the nut on it to release the tension then theoretically the belt just pops off and the new one goes on but I tried 2 brands (as I daaged the first one) and found them both extreamly tight.

I had the front end off the first time as I was doing the cam belt. The second time I just had it in the service position. I have read on the internet that it can be done without removing the front panel at all but I could not even get the spanner on the tensioner with the front panel on let alone get the new belt on.

I did mine last month (and infact replaced the tensioner too) by pulling the front panel forward a few inches as described above.

Word of warning though - Don't get your replacement belt from GSF. I did, and it was slightly bigger than OEM. Now the car screeches into life each time it's started from cold. Will be swapping it out if we ever get another dry day!

i was going to get the belt from eurocarparts

how do you put/move the panel into service position? does that mean you have to take the bumper off etc?

cheers

Yeah bumper off, headlights out (might not be needed but I did), 2 bits of threaded bar in the bolt holes for the bumper brackets and pull the front end forward. Takes time the first time you do it but in reality its no harder than on my old MGF where I had to take the engine cover off do do anything more than check the oil.

awww ****** hell , i dont have time for all that at the mo lol, especially as i dont have a garage and this with crappy weather.

and there was me thinking i could just take the tension of the belt and remove it.......oh how silly of me i forget its an audi lol