FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi Folks,

I'm just wondering if any of you guys and gals have had experience getting replacement/duplicate keys for your B5 A4s - A good friend of mine at work is about to buy one; we've been over and done all the dealer-scaring VAG-COM bit, and there's no worries on that score... There is however, the problem that the car only has one 'flippy' key - it needs to have at least two.

So, firstly, is it possible the flip-key is the master? If not, does anyone know how much Audi will charge for a replacement master? If a replacement master is needed, I assume there is some key-matching to immobiliser to be done; and I also assume that some of this may be possible with a HEX-COM?

Also, does anyone know how much a replacement secondary key costs (assuming you do have the master to cut from).

And finally (in the voice of sir Trev); does anyone know conclusively a) how much of the key cutting etc. might be possible by someone other than Audi, and b) how much a Vaio and VAG-COM can be used to minimise costs?

Thanks in advance folks,

Regards,

Rob.

the keys are usually ordered from a number that accompanies the emergency wallet key. This gives the exact code for the key blade to be cut. However, keys can be cut from your existing key, although it may take longer, and they'll probably charge you more.

The dealer then needs to add to the key to the immobiliser, and i dont think this can be done using vag com. All you can do is re-sync a previously paired key if the remote botton stops working (and doesnt need vag-com either).

either way, its a dealer only (££) scenario i'm afraid.

I've a sneaky feeling that the vehicle in question is fitted with an IMMO2; so given the availability of a SKC for it (which I think we can get hold of no problems); I think I should actually be able to code it (I had a read on Ross-Tech's website just after posting).

So maybe it'll turn out to be cutting only... - Thanks for your help regarding cutting from master etc.

Any other reports of success or failure with home-key-matching are still welcomed folks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rob.

dealer can charge between £80 - £120 pound for the key & reprogramming (including labour & that quote was from Whites in wimbledon).

If the car has another non-flip master key, you could cannibalise it and transfer the transponder capsule and cut the blade to fit a flip key from ebay. This is what I have done and it works fine, no need to involve Audi. Total cost = £10 for flip key