2000 1.8t advice??

Andyb5

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to audi-sport.net, iv'e always been a fan of the b5 and I'm going to look at one later today and if its a nice as I'm hoping i may be a long awaited b5 owner by the end of the day.

Can anyone give me any tips what to look out for? What are common faults on this model a4?

the car itself is year 2000 1.8t sport

has 100000 miles full audi svs history and only one owner

i have also checked the last ten years worth of mots on direct.gov and its only ever failed on tyres or low pads and discs or s,all ware and tear issues with an advisory note of slight play on both rear bearings last year it didn't fail just an advisory so I'm thinking for a 12 year old car its sounding like it could be a good one?

Any opinions what to look out for would be much appreciated

andy

Any car can sound good on paper you need to check wether the right oil has been used and intervals have been done regardless off mileage, also its good to no whats been done between the Mot and services thats were it really comes down to a 'sound good car' its stuff like timing belt, clutch, control arms and bushes that come in to play with a 100k+ car.

Cheers mate

The car is from a dealer with one previous owner so could be difficult finding out what oil has been put in by the original owner. the seller has stated timing belt has been done recently so will check through the receipts to see whats been done.

Don't suppose you know any way of checking condition of the turbo? Are these something that goes on these cars? With 100k on the. Clock if it hasn't been replaced up until now could that be an expense i will expect in near future?

Turbos tend to let the wastegate valve go in the turbine housing well mine did.

2e4f3c63.jpg

5dc61cc0.jpg

the only other thing that kills these turbos is again due to oil used and intervals as this causes the sludge issue and kills the turbo/engine you need to make sure its had 5w40's fully synth and if its been using the bigger oil filter thats an added bonus. If it was me and the service history had lack of evidence id drop the sump and and pick up pipe and give it a good clean or even just flush the engine with some 50/50 mix off your old oil and diesel.