Rear light problem?? Fuse 22... help please?

AudiA4B596

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really hoping someone could help me out with a problem that has occurred today on my A4 with the lights.

The fuse 22 (5A) (Rear parking light-right) has blown and when I replace it with another 5A fuse, it blows again as soon as I turn the ignition.

Some things I know and have tested...

* I've tested all the bulbs everywhere and they're all ok.

* No red right rear light when lights are on.

* When I turn the indicator switch to the right all the indicators on the right, all the front lights and the red rear on the right side flash at the same time.

* When I brake all the indicators on the right side come on (front and back) (And the little one on the dash)

* If I put a stronger fuse than 5A in fuse 22 slot (like 10A) and turn the ignition, all the indicators on the right side are stuck on, as well as the both red rear lights, and after about 5 minutes the fuse burns out and were back to the drawing board.

* I have an Rclick remote control locking system (after-market) but I completely disconnected it and did the tests again and got the same results. But I did notice that when it was connected and I locked the car, instead of just the indicators flashing to say the car is locked as normal, EVERY light (Front and Back) flashed!!!

* I checked all of the connections and the central locking pump for corrosion or a short-out but I couldn't find anything bad. Its bone dry in the back compartment areas.

* When I turn the hazards lights on they are working normally, all flashing all around, which makes me think the hazard switch is okay.

* I have after-market angel-eye front lights that were fitted by a previous owner and haven't caused any problems before.

Maybe its a relay or another fuse somewhere else? Or a water short somewhere else? (We have snow here now!)

I would really appreciate any feedback, thanks a lot in advance...

AudiA4B596

Clearly you have a short between the rear lights and the indicators.

First thing to check is the correct dual filament stop/tail bulb is fitted (probably on the right hand side)

Sometimes folk replace them with a single filament bulb and this causes all sorts of issues.

Hey aragorn, thanks for the quick reply! :)

I checked the bulb your talking about and it is a dual filament stop/tail bulb (The bottom one), so I guess that rules that out, so im guessing its a short then like you said...

Any ideas where its likely to be?

I've checked the places i thought it would be, the light and connection to the light itself look ok and are dry, and i looked over the central locking pump and i tried disconnecting the rclick alarm and that didnt help either so i guess its not that. Am i missing something?

Thanks...

Take the bulb out and see what happens.

If it still does it with the bulb out, then its presumably in the wiring somewhere, or perhaps in the lamp holder?

OK, I tried taking the bulb out and it still happened so I switched the back lamp holders over (left and right) and the problem was still in the right side and all lights working on the left side (bulbs are all fine)... so it has to be in the wiring, I've investigated more wires tonight all over the car but cant seem to find the problem... what exactly am I looking for and how can I find it and how exactly can this happen, I've never experienced a wiring short for no reason before, one day it was all fine, parked up and then the next day this happened, it just seems strange to me that this can happen overnight and remain like this, I thought if it got wet it might dry out but seems like that's not going to happen? Is it due to corrosion?

Or could it be a relay / hazard switch? (Although the hazards are working as normal)
Or could it have something to do with the poorly wired up after-market front lights that the previous owner fitted?

Thanks in advance...