clutch DIY

jcb

Reaction score
so my clutch is about to give up on me.
could really do without the pain of paying someone to do it but am thinking it might be easier to pull the engine than pull the gearbox.

thoughts?

anyone done this without a lift/ramp?

I dont fancy manhandling the gearbox back on from underneath whilst on axle stands

Iv'e done both ways, If i had a crane i'd do the engine out and probbly do some other jobs while i'm at it, .When i did the avant i didn't have a crane so dropped the box. Just make sure you check for oil leaks ont he first motion shaft. I have seen it twice now. I have a spare ready to go into mine when i drop the motor.

Do you have a 'DONK' friend who could throw the box in for a tinny lol it would be a lot kess hassle pulling the box rather than the box engine together IMO i find the boxes relatively easy on these cars compared to transverse cars the whole design off driveshaft flanges instead of losing gear oil makes it a doddle rather than oil going everywhere, is there not one off them garages near you were you can pay to use ramps and tools think scottB5 used one of these and had a good experience if your not willing to pay some one and do it on your back it might be the best way unless you have a 'DONK' lol sorry for the dundee quotes couldnt resist lol

cheers
need to do some thinking

next question....
I have a Stage 3 Southbend clutch in place
assuming it is not damaged or worn etc
what is to stop me using the pressure plate again with a new friction disc?

Assuming the southbend pressure plate is geometrically identical then nothing.

Problem is you wont really know until its apart whats actually worn out!

If you have a crane, pull the engine. If you have a lift drop the box.

I wouldnt want to be crawling around on my back trying to get the box in or out!

yes my thoughts exactly!

what if I no longer have a crane or access to a lift!?

The Southbend is geometrically identical, they basically buy Sachs clutch chassis and fit their own springs

Well if you have neither then the only option is to drop the box out manually while crawling around on your back underneath, not something i'd recommend really, though it can be done.

you mean a crank rear Main seal or a seal in the box this will be its 3rd clutch not had leaks as yet

May as well take that miltek off while your under there!

I would try to drop the box onto a crate or something so its easier to support for lifting. Its pretty heavy.

Or speak to Barry and we can steal that exhaust while its up!

he means the seal on the gearbox input shaft, behind the little tube that supports the clutch release bearing. They seem to fail and start leaking oil.

Go and buy a crane from Machine Mart or Sealey, much easier taking the engine out and not disturbing the prop and gearbox. I have done a b6 a4 today and about to do a 1.8TQS tomorrow, both engine out jobs !

Have decided I am going to pull the engine and wheel it out the front

will allow me to do the snub and engine mounts as well while I am at it
Among other things i am bound to find!!

next question:
can I buy a friction plate by itself!?

I wouldnt want to be crawling around on my back trying to get the box in or out!

Getting it out is easy... gettin it back in, Now thats Interesting...

Did it on the side of the road, on axle stands. With the help of Jase (Voorhees). Not fun!

the trouble is not havin the engine level. you have to have the rear higher to get it ion straight,

when i do my clutch its not going to be cheap, but then the £300 saved will go on a hd clutch, timing belt and tensioner, slave cylinder and water pump and any other bits i can change while its out.
i can access a ramp but in a garage so if i have to leave it there over night they wouldnt be happy!

whats best way? lift engine and then remove enigne mounts from block? is it easy to get up and round to disconnect clutch slave?
and any other bits that might snag on way down?