Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sulli79

Thread: Help got a slight knock noise on drivers side if you go over pit hole or a big bump ?

Neutral

Status

Help got a slight knock noise on drivers side if you go over pit hole or a big bump ?

Can anyone help I got a 99 a4 1.8t and got a knocking noise when I go over hate bump or pothole ?? Any ideas it's seems only to be drivers side? Maybe a bush or mount ? Just got a4 from having a a3 1.8t before so don't know much about common probs with the a4 would appreciate any help on this one? Also where is Ecu box as need to put a amp wire through but was told go through Ecu??
    thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Possibly front control arms, common problem, get a decent set to replace, meyle or lemforder, and do the full set or you will forever be chasing knocks! Ecu is top left below drivers windscreen wiper, goes straight into the cabin
    1999 1.8TQS Saloon in Black/Dirt
    1999 1.8TQS Saloon in Silver Breaking

Neutral

Status
    They the wish bones ?? Lower arms ? Suspension arms ?
    Thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    sort of its not like a McPherson strut set up, Audi went for a full independent set up so it has upper and lower control arms, they are a bit **** and the bushes in these tend to wear and cause knocks and general pants handling, cheapy ebay sets can be had for about a hundred quid, but it is money wasted as they seem to last a few thousand miles before failing again.
    go with one of the brands from above and you should be ok, not cheap though, about 300, but thats a complete set and will freshen up your front end. whilst its in bits subframe bushes do wear out and cause some issues
    gedi likes this.
    1999 1.8TQS Saloon in Black/Dirt
    1999 1.8TQS Saloon in Silver Breaking

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Yep control arms will be the problem here it will be worth your while and the cars for that matter ive just ordered a set of meyle hd control arms off ebay £340 in total but they come with a 4 year Guarantee so better than any cheap **** out there as my arms seem to just dictate which way they want the car to go.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2nd Gear

Status
    Well worth considering the 034 Motorsport arm kit - 034 Motorsport Control Arm Kit Track Density audi b5/c5/passatA4/S4/RS4/A6/S6/RS6

As said it is better to replace the whole lot or you will be chasing knocks.

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Nice sales pitch there hektor lol

quick one do you sell the coil adapters in anodisedblack for the 2.0T coils for AEB/AJL ENGINE if so cost posted cheers mate.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradderz_1988 View Post
    Nice sales pitch there hektor lol

quick one do you sell the coil adapters in anodisedblack for the 2.0T coils for AEB/AJL ENGINE if so cost posted cheers mate.
    hahaha not a sales pitch, just another option to consider...

Reverse Gear

Status
    could bethe suspension top mounts....

VW + Audi mad

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    could bethe suspension top mounts....
    My money is on one of the suspension arms being the culprit, as has already been said.
    I had a very similar issue a few months ago that drove me mad , eventually it was traced to a slightly worn balljoint on the the rearmost bottom suspension arm (the big curved expensive one!) , it was replaced and silence resumed.
    I renewed all 4 shocks recently and as part of the process also renewed the front top suspension mounts which on the A4 are nothing like the bearing versions found on the Audi 80 and other VAG group cars that swivel with the steering etc.
    The old ones that had done 215k miles that came out looked as good as the identical new Lemforder ones I replaced them with, so I don't think the strut top bearings on the A4 have a tough time at all.
    '99 Ming Blue A4 Avant TDi SE 110 + Dragon Performance Tuning Box
    Factory sunroof / Cruise / Aircon + Climate / Royale Blue leather

'72 1302LS Karmann Beetle Cabrio Silbermetallic

'63 Karmann Ghia Sunroof Coupe Pacific Blue

Neutral

Status
    I had a knocking and changed out the track rod end for the MOT and knocking went, never considered the TRE

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    My front right suspension all of a sudden started squeaking....noticed it on slow speed bumps. The squeak is like closing a rusted door...kinda squeak.
    Took the wheel off and found nothing. Traced it down to spring area. I can replicate the squeak when I press down on the front right. Does anyone have any idea what to check next?

are these control arm bit things dangerous if left for too long? I want to know how long I can go without touching them. I'm easy over the pot holes. Just did a few major repairs costing £300.

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    bump