Help got a slight knock noise on drivers side if you go over pit hole or a big bump ?

ScottScodude30

Reaction score
Can anyone help I got a 99 a4 1.8t and got a knocking noise when I go over hate bump or pothole ?? Any ideas it's seems only to be drivers side? Maybe a bush or mount ? Just got a4 from having a a3 1.8t before so don't know much about common probs with the a4 would appreciate any help on this one? Also where is Ecu box as need to put a amp wire through but was told go through Ecu??
thanks

Possibly front control arms, common problem, get a decent set to replace, meyle or lemforder, and do the full set or you will forever be chasing knocks! Ecu is top left below drivers windscreen wiper, goes straight into the cabin

sort of its not like a McPherson strut set up, Audi went for a full independent set up so it has upper and lower control arms, they are a bit **** and the bushes in these tend to wear and cause knocks and general pants handling, cheapy ebay sets can be had for about a hundred quid, but it is money wasted as they seem to last a few thousand miles before failing again.
go with one of the brands from above and you should be ok, not cheap though, about 300, but thats a complete set and will freshen up your front end. whilst its in bits subframe bushes do wear out and cause some issues

Reactions: gedi
Yep control arms will be the problem here it will be worth your while and the cars for that matter ive just ordered a set of meyle hd control arms off ebay £340 in total but they come with a 4 year Guarantee so better than any cheap **** out there as my arms seem to just dictate which way they want the car to go.

Nice sales pitch there hektor lol

quick one do you sell the coil adapters in anodisedblack for the 2.0T coils for AEB/AJL ENGINE if so cost posted cheers mate.

Nice sales pitch there hektor lol

quick one do you sell the coil adapters in anodisedblack for the 2.0T coils for AEB/AJL ENGINE if so cost posted cheers mate.

hahaha not a sales pitch, just another option to consider...

could bethe suspension top mounts....

My money is on one of the suspension arms being the culprit, as has already been said.
I had a very similar issue a few months ago that drove me mad , eventually it was traced to a slightly worn balljoint on the the rearmost bottom suspension arm (the big curved expensive one!) , it was replaced and silence resumed.
I renewed all 4 shocks recently and as part of the process also renewed the front top suspension mounts which on the A4 are nothing like the bearing versions found on the Audi 80 and other VAG group cars that swivel with the steering etc.
The old ones that had done 215k miles that came out looked as good as the identical new Lemforder ones I replaced them with, so I don't think the strut top bearings on the A4 have a tough time at all.

I had a knocking and changed out the track rod end for the MOT and knocking went, never considered the TRE

My front right suspension all of a sudden started squeaking....noticed it on slow speed bumps. The squeak is like closing a rusted door...kinda squeak.
Took the wheel off and found nothing. Traced it down to spring area. I can replicate the squeak when I press down on the front right. Does anyone have any idea what to check next?

are these control arm bit things dangerous if left for too long? I want to know how long I can go without touching them. I'm easy over the pot holes. Just did a few major repairs costing £300.