weekend cambelt dilemma

PhysicsFool

Reaction score
Dilemmas of a broke post grad:

I recently bought an Audi A4 1.8T Sport '99. Arguably one of the best decisions I have made in the last 6 years of car history. The previous owner said he had the cambelt done by his mechanic mate about this time last year, which is why it doesnt appear on the comprehensive service history.
Its not that I dont trust him, more for peace of mind. But i am looking at getting the water pump and cambelt done.

Various quotes later '350-550' its a toss up between spending a months wages on this or doing it myself.

Would it be too much of a job for me and my oldman to do in a day? both fairly mechanically minded. Or should i bite the bullet and loosen the purse strings a little?

If you're mechanically minded and mark everything up then you'll be able to do it in a day. Book time is 3 hours, parts are about 100 quid from the dealers AFAIK. It's pretty easy if you don't rush it.

its a fairly easy job, if your changing pump you may aswell drain radiator and remove the whole front end it will make it much easier to see what your doing
once ligned up i always mark belt and all the cogs before removing then transfer marks onto new belt so you can double check everythings ok
no special tools really just hex, torx bits and a socket set

Sounds good! Could you recommend an online step by step guide? Suggestions on which cambelt/water pump to use?