Auto-locking

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading a thread months ago that included a post about re-programming the doors to auto-lock from inside once the engine is running. I've searched for it, but couldn't find it.

I'm taking my car into Fontain this Friday to have the cruise contril fitted, and I'm thinking of asking them to do the auto-lock doohickey at the same time.

I really like the idea, as it's a bit like bandit country round here, & I always try to remember to lock the doors from the inside. The only thing that puts me off a bit, is the risk of locking myself out

Has anyone done this before? If so, when does it activate, & are there overrides to prevent accidental lock-out?

I have just turned auto lock off. Its good for the driver, locks when u go over 15mph, unlocks when you remove the key. Passengers however tend not to like it, as you have to pull the door handle multiple times.

Ok im maybe im stupid BUT why would you want the doors locked WHEN URE MOVING? i have never understood this? if anything you want the doors locked when ure at a stand still so no chance of someone opening NS/OS door when at lights or in traffic etc?

FM you're quite right, but with this turned on it locks once you move away at the start of the journey and then stays locked regardless of speed, stationary or otherwise, until you take the key out at the end of the journey.. so the traffic light scenario is covered..

[ QUOTE ]
Passengers however tend not to like it, as you have to pull the door handle multiple times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, twice actually. Not exactly a major operation.

doesnt stop women from insisting on hanging off the door handle as if there is something wrong with it

[ QUOTE ]
FM you're quite right, but with this turned on it locks once you move away at the start of the journey and then stays locked regardless of speed, stationary or otherwise, until you take the key out at the end of the journey.. so the traffic light scenario is covered..

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers mate , i didnt know that , every days a school day !

It's about a fortnight now since I had it done, & it's fine. I've been in the habit of driving with the doors locked ever since I moved to S.E. London/North Kent a decade or so ago, so auto-locking is just the job for me.

[ QUOTE ]
It's about a fortnight now since I had it done, & it's fine. I've been in the habit of driving with the doors locked ever since I moved to S.E. London/North Kent a decade or so ago, so auto-locking is just the job for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi jdp did they mention how much would it be to get this done without the cruise control? ##
cheers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi jdp did they mention how much would it be to get this done without the cruise control? ##
cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be done with VAG.COM if you have access?

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be done with VAG.COM if you have access?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks kev
no i dont have one or have access to one. What dothey go for now they must have come down in price ...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

It was about £25 IIRC

Anyone know how to do this with VAG-COM? Which blocks to set/unset etc.? I've read it on here before but just can't find it anywhere, the search engine is poo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers

T

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know how to do this with VAG-COM? Which blocks to set/unset etc.? I've read it on here before but just can't find it anywhere, the search engine is poo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a look at http://www.audiworld.com/tech/
in the 'Electronics' subsection under the topic 'Coding the Control Module', helped me when I did mine....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Aha! That should help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Job done.

I changed the coding to give me the following...

1. Auto door locking when the car is moving, unlocks when ignition is turned off.

2. 'Safety locking' which unlocks only drivers door on first remote key click and all other doors and the boot on the second click.

3. Enabled my alarm to beep when the car is locked/alarm is armed. This one will be quite useful as it will stop me having to look back every time I walk away from the car to see if the indicators have flashed!

My car already had window operation from the key remote enabled as I believe this was a feature added to the facelift models (I think they called it Total Closure), although I could be mistaken...

Thanks again for the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

Tim

[ QUOTE ]
Job done.

1. Auto door locking when the car is moving, unlocks when ignition is turned off.

2. 'Safety locking' which unlocks only drivers door on first remote key click and all other doors and the boot on the second click.

3. Enabled my alarm to beep when the car is locked/alarm is armed. This one will be quite useful as it will stop me having to look back every time I walk away from the car to see if the indicators have flashed!

My car already had window operation from the key remote enabled as I believe this was a feature added to the facelift models (I think they called it Total Closure), although I could be mistaken...

Cheers

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Reckon that no 3 is the most useful mod; was forever going back to the car just to make sure it was locked!
My windows/sunroof can be closed from the remote, and its a ' 99 pre-facelift....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Job done.

Cheers

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Reckon that no 3 is the most useful mod; was forever going back to the car just to make sure it was locked!
My windows/sunroof can be closed from the remote, and its a ' 99 pre-facelift....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree. Like I said before, I would always look back when leaving the car just to make sure the indicators flashed! It's funny, I have to struggle NOT to look back now because it's become habit!

Didn't know that about the pre-facelifts... it's just that I think I remember a few people saying they had to enable it on theirs. I suppose it's possible that various people had it disabled previously or the cars were tailored by a previous owner or even requested they come that way.

Cheers

T

can i set up auto windows on mine its a 1996 B5 1.8T which blocks do i need to change?

Check out Nessy's link to the Audiworld Tech forum above, it explains what to do nicely.

Only took me 10mins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just an small additional note... to make the windows go up or down when locking/unlocking the car you have to hold down the button on the keyfob. Just in case you didn't know.

Cheers

T

Billy> I have total closure on my 96 A4 without remote locking. If you hold the key in the lock position for about 3 seconds it activates total closure i.e windows, sunroof etc. \have only tried this from the drivers side but may work on the passenger side also.

Doh! Beat me to it with the edit... see above.

I know there's a difference with the earlier cars but I'm unsure of how they work exactly so good to have advice from someone with a similar car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers mate i loged onto to my vag-com but it wouldnt find the module i so wish i had a later model car

but i will try what you said and report back

also is there anyway i could upgrade my ecu to a later model???

your right it worked with the key in the lock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

but i use a toad alarm to close the car and if i hold the button down the toad alarm goes off and the windows dont lock any ideas how i can get this to with the toad

For an aftermarket alarm it would have to be a feature of that particular alarm... add-on etc. (you know how people like to make money by offering extra features!) I don't believe there is a way of interfacing the two systems but maybe the rocket scientists out there have a solution... ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lol ive seen a add on for the toad im gonna find out how much and have ago

If you buy the remote central locking option from VAG parts then you can use the total closure function with the key fob. This however does not rectifiy the isue with your Toad alarm. Best to speak to the person who installed the system.