MOT Tomorrow.

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Its not a normal MOT thread as such.
Just something that popped in to my head.

Am I right in thinking that MOT tester can't do the smoke test on my cause its an Auto?
Or is it cause its a diesel, I can't remember but I do remember something being read or said that they can't do it cause or something my car has.

I think its cause of the auto, it never concerned me before but someone mentioned that auto's don't like being revved for long periods of time (Smoke test) when in park.

Does any one know, is there any truth in this?

Dervs get smoke tested, which involves revving the engine at full throttle up to the governor.

I've heard something about revving automatics in neutral, something to do with the torque converter perhaps?

Some newer autos have a reduced rev limiter when in park or neutral, which suggests there is some issue.

I guess its related to overheating the oil in the torque converter, i also suspect that just revving it a couple of times as is required for the smoke test wouldnt be an issue.

Dervs get smoke tested, which involves revving the engine at full throttle up to the governor.

I've heard something about revving automatics in neutral, something to do with the torque converter perhaps?

Some newer autos have a reduced rev limiter when in park or neutral, which suggests there is some issue.

I guess its related to overheating the oil in the torque converter, i also suspect that just revving it a couple of times as is required for the smoke test wouldnt be an issue.

Going by a site I just read, they do up to 6 runs revving the engine up to the governor (I don't know what that is).

That's it, Revving an auto flat out can't be good for oil, box or torque converter.

the tester will know what to do, you don't need to worry

They might do but do they do it?
I don't trust anyone I don't know with my car/s.

On a diesel - the tester will do a smoke emissions test. Just make sure the timing belt is not near replacement due date, as there's a fair degree of stress on it as the car is revved.

It passed.

Got to wait another 12 months for them to rev the tits out of my car and potentially over head my gear box oil.
WooHoo :)

Reactions: shariain