Have I broken it?

Kevint

Reaction score
Website
www.lickmyear.org
Took my old wheels off yesterday to replace with the one's I bought from snoop, the old alloys were stuck on pretty well and all needed a short sharp kick to free them, however, the drivers side front did not want to come off, and I mean really did not want to.

Tryed acouple of kicks and it would not budge, ended up with a large rubber mallet and alot of persuation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Got it off, fitted the new ones, alls good, almost.

From the drivers front I now have a squeak (every rotation) when coasting. The squeak disappears under accleration or braking, just when coasting. It's driving me nuts.

I've not had a chance to whip the wheel off yet, but have had a look round, theres no brake smell or pulling to one side.

What do you think I've done? Serious or not? What should I look for when I take the wheel off?

Kev.

p.s. I'd hate to get a flat and have to try and change the tyre by the side of the road, I used a trolly jack which held the car whilst I freed the stuck wheels, on the supplied jack I could see the car falling off, the wheels where that stuch on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i had that wheel stuck on problem when you next take a wheel off, give the mounting point on the axle a good wire brushing and then a bit of copper slip on it, your wheels wont get stuck again, as for the noise, make sure you havent bent the brake disc guard when changing the wheels over. it could be that hitting the disc every time it goes round.

Could have damaged the wheel bearings. If they are a little warn already, it may not take much to knacker them and side impacts are not something that bearings like anyway.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Could have damaged the wheel bearings. If they are a little warn already, it may not take much to knacker them and side impacts are not something that bearings like anyway.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I had that fear.

Pricey job or not?

And if it is the bearings, will it do any harm driving like it for a while?

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

Just got car back from glas audi
2 x front wheel bearings inc VAT & labour=£316.05 AND
2 x track rod ends,1 x wheel alignment
2 x mirrors NS+OS plus varrious screws and nuts inc VAT & labour £365.14

also to add insult to injury im told i need a new air con compressor over £700 needless to say it will need to wait till summer kicks in!
anybody got a length of rope i could borrow im sure the corroner will return it after the inquest ! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken from Fallmonks post a while back... not the cheapest of jobs then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll whip the wheel off after the weekend and see what can see.

How can I check/tell if it is a bearing that has gone?

Kev.

A cheap way is to find a breaker with a whole front hub in good nic then just replace the lot cost about 50 quid. Put your brakes etc back onto it but that is the quickest way and cheapest IMO.
When you spin the wheel off the ground, can you hear anything grinding/ fell anything grinding etc.

The wheel will wobble if the bearing is loose too. Jack it up and see if it moves.

If u can wobble the wheel on the axle u mite have problems.

Well, good news!

I was out and about today for work and found myself near the dealers. I popped in and saw my friendly service advisor and explained to her that I thought I might have broken the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

45 mins later an it was given back, no squeak!

Not sure what it was, but wheel taken off, cleaned and put back on, test drive, and all is as it should be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Done about another 100 miles today and it's still good. Can only think that some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif was caught when I put it on or perhaps a bolt was loose?

Kev.