180k 1.8 petrol. Worth doing work on?

wysiwyg

Reaction score
Im trying to decide whether its worth doing work to my A4 facelift 1.8. Its long in the tooth at a V with 180k. It still runs sweetly, but I dont know when the cam was last done, its losing coolant steadily so Im assuming the pump may be on its way out. How much is a kit going to rush me is it going to be throwing money away? Is something else going to kill it imminently?

Spend £100 and do the job youself. It's not really hard on those engines.

could be something as simple as a leaking o ring... Look round the back of the cylinder head for white/red crust.

mileage means nothing, what matters is what condition the cars in. A low mileage car could have been ragged to death and be completely knackered, and similarly a high mileage one could have been maintained with no expense spared and be in excellent health. Ignore the number on the dash!

I guess, I just didnt want to do the cam belt, and then it could be clutch, or suspension or.. it cant be worth a lot, at what point do you quit and get something newer.. ho hum

Its worth it cause once u get it sorted car will be going for another lot of miles. i have 1.8 5V 98 audi with nearly 190k miles on it. a while ago spent a bit of money on t.belt water pump and other bits and car goes better them some newer cars.

its up to you at the end of the day.
1) maintain an old car thats hit rock bottom depreciation wise. or 2) buy a newer car thats still depreciating at 20% of its current value a year (and you still have to pay out to maintain it!!).

where are you based? i can do these cambelts blind folded.

its up to you at the end of the day.
1) maintain an old car thats hit rock bottom depreciation wise. or 2) buy a newer car thats still depreciating at 20% of its current value a year (and you still have to pay out to maintain it!!).

where are you based? i can do these cambelts blind folded.

Want my belts changed too, if you fancy doing mine?!!! 210K and no idea if/when it was last changed :s

your a bit far from me in sheffield!

ive had a lot of high milers and they have all been solid, i wont temp fate with my new well run in car but suffice to say as been mentioned it is a number !

i have a 275k 2.8 that I am still doing work on!

just about broken in that one

get the spanners out and save a classic

I've got a 1.8 T reg Petrol, running like a dream still at 206k miles :) apart from a few niggles... but spanners and parts will be out

Treat it well and it will reward you lol