big turbo?

b5boy

Reaction score
hey guys i was just wanting to know whats the best big turbo upgrade to go for i have a a4 b5 1.8t all standard but want a bigger turbo i was thinking t3/t4 but wasnt sure on what was best to go for if anyone could give me any thoughts will help alot

Define "best"!

You need some goals first. Whats best for you wont neccesarily be best for me or anyone else.

Personally i suspect a T3/T4 would be hugely laggy on a 1.8T and wouldnt really be very nice to drive.

A GT28RS is likely a good fit for the 1.8T that wont be too laggy, but will offer something like 320-350hp.
Another option might be a T3 60trim from a Sierra Cossie 4x4, similar in size to the GT28RS but a bit less efficient, should do 300-320hp.

Ofcourse if you have lesser power goals then a different set of options would be there, and similarly if you want 500hp then it'll be a different set again.

I would like 300/350 so the gt28rs sounds like the one would it be safe running a gt28rs with a stock engine the last thing i would want is to stick one go down the road and blow the engine

Rods would be on the list for me personally, probably intergrated engineering ones.

Id be putting rods in if your over 260hp as i wouldnt want to run the risk of bending one or even letting go and going through the block.

Cool ok thanks for the feed back ill prob just play it safe for now and get a k04 then think ill go big when i have the cash what's the turbo u got in yours bradderz

Its a hybrid K04 from frankenturbo but it has slight shaft play so its not getting tuned yet its on stock map got a big list of jobs to do first getting it mechanically sound then im going to be looking into doing a engine rebuild with rods/pistons or may even look at a 2.0 stroker kit but thats going to be a work in progress. I wouldnt even get a K04 before a BT i would do it right first time i sort of regret going hybrid and should of gone straight to a GT28 but we learn from our mistakes i guess but i will get there one day with the car lol

Hybrid will be best option with supporting mods ie 3inch maf 3 bar fpr injectors fmic you should see 260-280hp depending on turbo size, frankenturbo have recently released the F21 longitudinal which has a slightly bigger compressor wheel than the F4 i have fitted, it really is a good bolt on package for just under 1k

Thats pretty sweet that then ill go and have a look at frankenturbo see what they got would audi s3 or tt injectors be sutable

The search for power is a long and expensive route to travel. Be aware other componants will wear out quicker too.

Depends what engine you have installed, if you have a DBW APU engine then S3 / TT injectors are fine, if it's an AEB you will need to use some bosch redtops or similar

Thats pretty sweet that then ill go and have a look at frankenturbo see what they got would audi s3 or tt injectors be sutable

Ill prob have to go with the Bosch ones mines a AEB what size cc injectors would suit that

Ill just the guys were Im getting the turbo from see what they recommend