Which HID kit

steady jay

Reaction score
Just wanting to know what HID's people are using/where from

Thanks muchly jay

I wouldn't bother,unless you're friendly with your mot tester!
Buy some decent bulbs instead!
tony

As it goes I am ;) but i just want a bit more light output than the crap I've got at the moment. Surely the old bill won't be hot on a decent hid kit?

probably not,but the choice is yours!
I've just ordered some Osram Night Breaker bulbs,they are recommended as good
tony

While on the subject of lights are all facelift headlights the same? Is there self levelling ones available?

some s4 and rs4 came with xexon(maybe all of them?),I think the levelling system is linked to the front suspension

tony

It is possible to retro fit them as i have done it, but you need the rear axle sensor, the front arm one, the control box and the interconnecting wirirng . Possible ? Yes, plug n play, No

Think I'll pass, unless I can convince the mrs I need to buy a s4 so I have self levelling headlights lol

I was told my MOT tester you can have a HID kit fitted aslong as you have projector type headlamps or just clear lenses on normal headlights (as non clear type scatters beam)

You only need to have the headlight washers and auto level (which must work) if it is factory fitted.

As long as the beam patten isn't scattered and the headlights are positioned correctly.

Ive always bought my HID kits from Alltronix on ebay. Only ever had one dodgy ballast, and good service from the guy there.
On my A3 I retrofitted xenons from an s3 and wouldnt do it any other way now. Of course if the bulb or ballast blows now i will buy aftermarket. Ive had my fair share of issues with aftermarket headlight units though.

i tried all sorts of bulbs in the TQS
all these +85% etc claims were absolute crap.
I even put in some 100w jobs just to see if there was any difference

after all that I put in some 55w HID at 5000K, not blue and chavey just white and bright
night and day (excuse the pun)

I have had 3 MOT's done since then, not one question. and my MOT tester does me no favours! in fact he has been a ******* recently!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/80395-hid-install-picture-heavy.html

I have hids fitted on my 200sx and the difference between that and my QTS is crazy. I have high powered bulbs in the QTS but the lack of light is quite frankly scary.

Ill be investing in hids when I get the chance that's for sure :)

i've fitted a set off amazon, only cost £30 and the bulb warning doesnt show up and it's had 2MOTS with no probs... the light is still a bit shocking, but loads better than it was. :D

they're loads better, but still not as good as i'd like..... still quite a few cars, that when driving behind me with their STD lights, ...i'll be able to see my own shadow cast on the road infront of me.

If you fit after market HID xenon as dipped lights in your facelift TQS B5 will there be an issue with the fact that there is no headlight washers fitted or self levellers (only the manual levelling knob on the right hand side of the dashboard) when its next mot is due, as I fitted mine last feb and the mot bloke passed it ok, but said after april this year you have to have headlight washers fitted, but did not mention about self levellers - can anyone "throw any light" :applaus:!! on this ?

Mine had aftermarket hides fitted when I brought it, had its MOT in August and nothing was said about it, no self levelling or washers fitted, maybe luck of the draw with MOT station

Thanks Sulli - could be luck of the draw, I will take it too the same place next feb and soon find out.
I am also thinking of fitting HID to the fog lights with the same kit - anyone else done this ?
The original kit I bought was off ebay, company that I can't remember right now, but still have the paperwork if anyone wants to know, - they are H7 6000k ice white and give a fantastic bright light, in the main beam I have osram night breakers which also give an intensely bright light - but a yellow colour which is why I want to fit xenons to the fog lights to match the dipped beam, as when driving at night with fog lights on a dark country road they give you more light at low level kerb height so tha you can avoid the wild life or at least have a chance to see it and react as I do seem to have lots of near misses with animals - most recent being a full size deer that decided it was going to run across infront of me when I was doing 70mph causing me to swerve - thank god for quattro and ABS - both the deer and myself came out unscathed !!!

Check the voltage at the bulbs, I bet it is'nt 13.2 v or even 12 v.
Better heavier duty wiring and relays are easier, cheaper, legal.

EU construction and use regs require levellers and washers for any HID lamps. OK so you may get through the MOT but technically the car fails the Regs and therefore would provide a suitable get out clause for some insurance companies!!

If you fit after market HID xenon as dipped lights in your facelift TQS B5 will there be an issue with the fact that there is no headlight washers fitted or self levellers
Not true - in the 2012 MOT Testers Guidelines it says that IF headlamp washers or self levellers are fitted they must work, but they do NOT have to be fitted. So provided the headlamp aim is setup correctly there is no reason why aftermarket HIDs will fail an MOT.

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch."

Thanks for the info petrol dave - should be ok then lighting wise at next febs mot !

had 3 MOT's done on mine without washers and levellers

admittedly I run an S4 bumper with washer caps but they are glued down!!

I wouldn't not run hids on B5 headlamps. Even with fancy bulbs the output is frankly shocking. The HID kit I fitted improved things no end but still only brought them up to the realms of acceptable. I spent a good while setting my lamps up and it's flown every MOT since fitment. The police haven't even raised an eyebrow at my headlamps and my job see's me quite often meeting with traffic police who aren't known for the sense of humour.

If you're worried about the MOT it takes a matter of minutes to swap back for the test.