Control arm replacement...

Arrkon

Back in a "B"
Staff member
Regional Rep
Reaction score
What size ball joint might my car be? I understand there are two sizes?

Car is a 2000 1.8T Sport FWD.

thanks

Hmm... keep finding different size ball joints referred to... 24mm and 28mm iirc

Not for an A4.

Late S4's and RS4's had alloy uprights and those use smaller balljoints on the front lower arm.

B6> also use the same smaller balljoints as they all have alloy uprights.

All B5 A4's have the same lower front arm.

How do you guys go on about the lower arms when replacing the uprights is there any that accomadate the original balljoints ????

Also looking to replace the front wheel bearings when i get round to replacing the control arms, can anyone recommend where to get them from ??

Get the bits from All German Parts, they come with a guarantee.

Do not buy lower quality bearings, I did, and ended up fitting 8 to the Avant over 2 years!! (They weren't the cheapest ones either)

Why would you want to keep the original balljoint? If the bushes have gone, the joint won't wont be far behind. I have chopped out the joint from old ones, and the steel ball sits in a plastic socket!

I did a how-to guide on suspension bits - it's in Scotts sticky.

Sorry paul i dont think i explained myself properly i was asking about the lower arms for when upgrading to Alloy uprights as i may be considering it in the future as i want some bigger stoppers at some point was asking as i will be getting a full kit and when the time comes i will be curious of how to get round this !!

Are these the correct ones from allgermanparts - Wheel bearing kit (26568) 8D0 598 625

Steel upright (a4/s4) requires this type of front lower arm ball joint
DSC00632.jpg

Alloy upright (b5 rs4/b6/b7) requires this type of lower arm ball joint
DSC00630.jpg

TQS and S4 are pressed in.

thats a fwd rear bearing in your link though!

you need:

Meyle 1004980037
Replaces OE Ref: 4A0498625