Power socket in boot

Kevint

Reaction score
Website
www.lickmyear.org
Is it easy to install a power socket in the boot of a saloon A4?

I should be able to get a lighter socket from VAG Parts, similar to the ones used in the avant, but where can I wire it into?

Is there any suitable power already in the boot or will I need to run something new?

Just for the moment I'm thinking about hard wiring in (for charging purposes) a blue tooth GPS receiver which I want to sit on the parcel shelf, but may want it to power other things in the future.

Kev.

As the unit could be used to power anything with that plug then you should really run a new fused feed from the fusebox. In reality you could piggyback onto an existing supply, but if someone then decides to use it to inflate their tyres it's likely to blow a fuse.
Running a separate feed is actually pretty easy, and the proper way to do it.

Thanks Andy.

Assume I just hard wired in the cable then (as it only draws a small current) as opposed to fit a power socket, where could I piggy back it from? CD changer?

Kev.

No the changer doesn't have a separate power line, it's integral to the bus cable and very small current only live with the HU on.
You've only really got the perm live to the rear amp which is easily accessible, bolted to the rear left speaker.

Thanks Andy,

I'll pull it apart next week and see what I have to play with. I think I'll run a proper line through from the fuse box though, it's a better job and gives more options.

Kev.