New Stereo Woes

Bizzeh

Reaction score
Finally found a nice oem looking head unit to fit in the car (pics to follow), and stuck it in the car last weekend.

Popped down to halfords and grabbed the harness adapter just to be safe, as i knew someone mentioned something about the audi unit having the switched and constant power round the wrong way.... or something like that.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

once it was all installed, i noticed that the stereo didn`t turn off when the key was removed from the ignition. Must be something to do with the halfords harness.... (all it does on having a look at it is to run an aditional constant feed into the switched feed). Now if the head unit completely powered off i could live with this, but it doesn`t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

so i remove the harness and stick the loom directly into the back of my unit (kinda like doing this as my head unit supports the gala feature, yet no after market harness adapters that i have found have this wire included), and then recharged my flattend battery!!! wont be using the halfords adapter again in a hurry!!

now that i have the audi loom directly into the head unit, it doesn`t have retain any of the settings on removing the key from the ignition. I have to put the keycode into the unit every time i get in the car.

does anyone have a version of the pin out diagram in english i could have a look at at all, as when looking on the back of the audi unit i take out, the diagram has 3 or 4 different pins all with some kinda positive sign on them.... i`m a touch confused!!!

any help would be great

cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

when connected using the harness it sounds like the constant feed is connected to the wrong wire. This is pretty common with new setupd - red and orange (i think) .. try talkaudio forums for some expertise ..

I was going to get a pic of superhero and customise it with audi and car stereo stuff but will do that another time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif- Andy Mac our Ice guru will be along shortly.

Also read the Canbus threads.

Really simple. You just need to swap over the switched ignition on wire with the perm live. They are round the wrong way, so you'll lose all memory and the HU won't turn on or off with the ignition.
Don't know what harness you have but all you need is both male & female power ISO connectors. Connect each wire 1:1 except for the perm live and ignition on (shown below as red with white stripe and yellow with red stripe). Just swap these over and connect the female end into the HU and the male end into the Audi harness.
Or of course you can just cut the 2 wires and reconnect with bullet connectors or similar.
UB+ = perm live
S-Kont = switched live (ignition on)
K-Bus = CANBUS
GA = Gala
Sun = illumination (dims with dash)
The switch symbol = remote on (for amp or power antenna)
The earth symbol = earth

ISOPowerdiag.jpg

If you go to Maplins they have the ISO connectors fully wired so you'll still retain the Gala feed. They're really cheap as well £2.99 each IIRC.
Also if you've got a really small watchmakers screwdriver set you can actually remove the pins in the Audi connector and swap them over properly.

Ahhh thank you.... Finally the straight forward answer i was looking for!!

I did get the maplins ISO but it was missing pins 1-3 so no gala /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

think i`ll be changing the pins over in the audi loom with some tiny tweezers when i can find some. if its just the two i have to change over i should be all good!!

So i made myself a new wiring harness which connects the switched to the perm feed and vice versa, however i seem to be back where i started, as now the stereo doesn`t turn on and off with the key, i have to do it manually on the head unit again, which also means that my battery will be flat again in no time at all......

Just how on earth do i wire this sodding thing into my car so it turns on and off with the car and so that it WONT opperate without the key in the ignition!!!!

Can you supply a photo of the connections as they now stand?
The only way you can possibly have this situation is if the permanent live is going to both the perm live & the switched live.
You mentioned above that the adapter you tried has "an additional constant feed into the switched feed". This is wrong unless your car doesn't have a switched feed.
You must have a switched feed on the Audi loom as when you plug it in directly it loses its settings, i.e. the feed switches off when you take the keys out.
So by swapping over the 2 feeds you should have perm live going to the HU memory (bottom row 3rd from right of the ISO socket when looking at the wired side) and switched live going to the HU power (top righthand corner)
There should be no perm live going to more than one pin on the connector.
Some HU's actually have a handy switch on the top which transposes these 2 pins.
Go and buy a 12v testing screwdriver and check the connections.

Youve got the same problems as me!
There is only a Perm live feed on the loom.
Nothing switched!
The HU has 5 plugs and the audi loom is only 4 pins to fit.
Therefore you have to wire the switched and perm live to the perm live from the car!

(If that makes sense)

Im yet to find a way round it tho im afraid! You'll need to pull a feed from the ignition, or sumthin else that is switched.

At the mo i just pop the face off and that saves turnin i on and off each time.

[ QUOTE ]
At the mo i just pop the face off and that saves turnin i on and off each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, how is popping the face off quicker than switching it off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Coz its a kenwood one, its got standby, no off button. You have to push and hold source for about 5 secs to get it off. Then u have to take the face off anyway when u get out the car!

When u get back in you have to push source to turn on, then wait for a silly screen to load b4 it will work. So if u just took the face off b4, it comes on quicker too!

Bizzeh has got ignition on in his car as when it was wired the wrong way round he was losing all the presets. This can only happen if one of the feeds is switched.

If the ISO power plug is mssing the ignition on feed then you can take the feed from the Radio S-Kont fuse on the fusebox, which is a 15 minute job.

and as i went to have a fiddle with it today.... all was working!!!!!

rather odd but never the less i`m a rather happy bunny now!!!

heres some night shots which really show off the blending in with the OEM style i`m after!!!

Day time shots
PICT0033.JPG

PICT0034.JPG

what happened when i dropped the screws from the facia adapter into the dash (curiously enough, you`ll be able to see the messed up trim around the top edge of the fans, how do i get access to that to sort it all out, can figure out how i remove the fans!!!)

PICT0020.JPG

and finally my dodgy night shots!!!

nightshot1.jpg

nightshot2.jpg

looks sweet doode. Very nice.

I have a sony headunit in mine. It mixes well with the "red" theme of the audi lights. Looks good!