Optimax V "normal" unleaded

m_o_w_g_l_i

Reaction score
Hiya,

just started a new job that involves a 54 mile commute covbering the M55, M6, M61 and M60 every day, its a joy!! As I start at 7am its not too bad to be honest.

Anyway, tried the journey on Optimax and got 39 - 40 mpg, same journey on cooking unleaded and got 36 mpg!!

The maths gives:

Fuel Type: ((Mileage per month/MPG)*litres per gallon)*cost of fuel = monthly cost.

So,

Optimax: ((1500/39)*4.5)*0.94 = £162.69

Normal: ((1500/36)*4.5)*0.89 = £166.88

So, it might be more expensive up front, but its cheaper in the long run.

This trip carried out at the same times, very similar conditions and with only me in the car travelling at very similar speeds.

Diesel would be cheaper, but not by much:

Diesel: ((1500/50)*4.5)*0.95 = £128.25.

This is a saving of £38.63 over normal and £34.44 over optimax, a saving of £463.56 per year. Yes it would be chaper to run the diesel, but, would cost me more than £500 to sell my car and buy a similar reg'd car with similar spec and mileage.

Good info mate ive not seen it put like that before

exactly what i always thought i'm always a few pounds better off with super but never got some hard proof on here

thinking of lpging my mum's car which does 20 mpg will cost 32p per litre, much better, can't bring myself to do that to my audi though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif the smile is worth the extra costs for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And don't forget the Optimax points, you get more per litre than unleaded.

so is that normal to get better consumption off optimax type fuel then?

Is BPs version the same - no shell round here?

It's allegedly better for your engine too? What do you think?

you've got me thinking

BP local to me is a grotty station which doesn't inspire confidence and as per my earlier post my car was running worse on BP.

[ QUOTE ]
It's allegedly better for your engine too? What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had a 306 GTi6 I used to visit Skip Browns on the A49 near Tarporley. He reckoned that the Optimax petrol types actually help keep the injectors clean and also the pipes, so it saves on injector cleaner.

the only other advice I have found was to AVOID supermarket fuels as they "apprently" can be thickened with miniscule grit particles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif which isn't good.

I read that the best thing to do was to use a busy garage as the turnover of fuel is higher therefore the octane rating would be as near as possible to the 95/98 as it states on the pumps. Fuel octane apparently decreases with time.

Secondly, don't fill up whilst a bulk delivery is taking place. Any crap in the bottom of the stations fuel tank gets stirred up and goes into your tank, again, not good.

The higer the octane, the more power per ignition cycle, so the engine is more efficient so you don't have to give it so much right foot to get the rate of acceleration you want...