Vacuum hoses?

James 33

Reaction score
Just been looking at the vacuum hoses on my 2.8 30 valve and they seem a bit brittle with the fabric flaking off them. I notice as well that one of them operates a valve on the front of the inlet manifold. What does this do? Reason i ask is mine has a stutter at low revs up to about 2500rpm ( see my other post) and was wondering if this valve is not opening properly causing the stutter. Thanks.

Hi James 33.

I would change out the vaccum hose for silicon. (try APmotorstore.co.uk who stock ASH silicon stuff) Dia 4mm a couple of quid a meter. Made a big differance to my engine ACK. Clean the throttle body if not done recently, and when you took the plugs out, (I read your other post.) Was there oil in the plug pocket? If so change the rocker seals, my be shorting out the spark and that is why the back two plugs are black. More so if you park on a hill. The crankcase breather pipe will also be very brittle by now, and may need changing. Very very expensive from the dealers.

If you have the Auto triptronic, I would change the AT oil and filter. Audi service book I have recommends every 60K. Which the dealer seemed to ignore. Nice engines and run and run if looked after.

Hi i checked for leaks on the valve cover but they seem ok and the plugs where dry. Will change the vac hoses soon i think even though its running really nice now.