need some info for few jobs i want to tackle

205man

Reaction score
seeing as my car has sailed through its mot, im going to get on and tackle a few jobs i wanted to do on my car but have been putting off or not had time to do , so looking for a bit of info to do them

1: there appears to be a rattle/vibration noise that comes from behind the passenger side of the dashboard, it sounds almost metalic, has anyone got a pic of whats behind the dash so i could poss work out the source of the noise.

2:my rocker cover gaskets are leaking and they have slowly been getting worse to the point now that when the engine very hot it smells bit oily, how hard is it to replace the rocker gaskets on a 2.8v6 and any tips, i have looked and it doesnt appear to bad a job just bit fiddly.

cheers alan

2.8 30v? do the leaks seem to be coming from the n/s/f and the o/s/r of the engine? these are where the head chain tensioners are. like the 1.8t ones, under them is a little gasket and a D shaped rubber doofer seal, these leak so if your doing the cam cover gaskets, do these too.
you'll need the tensioner pad backing off and holding tool to slaken off the chain tension, like the 1.8t.
the one on the o/s/r is relatively painless but the n/s/f one is an **** as the cambelt back cover (metal bit bolted to the head behind the cambelt pulley) makes it very awkward.

Reactions: 205man
both banks are leaking but the near side is the worse it seem, they are leaking more from the rear and around the spark plugs, there a small amount of oil there that smells when it gets hot.

ive been working on "winchmore's" 2.4 30v recently, ive changed the cam cover gaskets. thats cured the oil leaks into the plug holes and some of the external leaks, but the D rubber bits under the chain tensioners are leaking on his.

The 1.8t gasket is a pain to get it to seal right and I would imagine yours will be the same design. I had an Octavian VRS and it took me a few goes. Make sure the mating surfaces are dry and free from oil. I would recommend using a gasket sealer but make sure it's a high temperature one or it won't work.