Blue/white smoke

steady jay

Reaction score
This f**king car is begging to annoy me now.
Just finished work started the car up fine no problem. Go to pull away on the main road and filled it with blue/white smoke. Hasn't done it since.

Checked your EGR valve lately? Could be sticking open/closed.

White smoke is normally coolant/oil related and blue tends to be more fuel related ?? possibly just leaky valve stem seals !

Yeah was waiting for a mate to walk out of work too so probably 5-10 minutes, what options do I have to sort the stem seals?

Cheers jay

Little update/research it hasn't kicked out any smoke since last Saturday been told to check under oil cap while it's running for excess pressure and it has a lot of pressure. Which could hopefully rule out stem seals? And possibly something much easier.

White smoke is normally coolant/oil related and blue tends to be more fuel related ?? possibly just leaky valve stem seals !

really?

Blue - Oil
white - Water/Steam
Black - Fuel (i.e too much of it)

at least that is what I always went by

Little update/research it hasn't kicked out any smoke since last Saturday been told to check under oil cap while it's running for excess pressure and it has a lot of pressure. Which could hopefully rule out stem seals? And possibly something much easier.

I am no AA mechanic but you have to ask yourself where that pressure is coming from?
usually pressurised header tank and smokey exhaust is an immediate check for head gasket trouble.

overheated recently, run low on coolant?

Nope not overheated once, coolant is fine too. As it hasn't done it before or after that 1 occasion it's hard to pinpoint so unless it happens again I'm not going to worry too much.

I'll try to get my hands on vagcom and see if that comes up with anything.

Get a sniff test on tge coolant bottle to check for hydracarbons this will be an indication of the head gasket.

possible slighty worn turbo seals! Happend to my s4 blue/white smoke didnt do it again for a few weeks then 1 completely just gave up this was a bout a year ago and they had done over 100k so due a change any way