Problems while removing oil sump on 1.8tqs

kenlaw50n

Reaction score
After being delayed in work for 3 hours extra today I had to readjust plans to replace the oil pump.

So thought to my self why not strip it and have it ready for the new pump and rebuiling tomrrow. Should only take a an hour or two to strip it down.

How wrong was I. Everything come off fine. Except the last bolt. It just happens to be one of the 5mm hex bolts that is situated next to the fly wheel. Slid the hex key in and found that without anything other than turning it with my fingers the head has been rounded off by someone in the past.

Anyone got any tips on how to get this out without dropping the gearbox?

That bolt also have a 10mm head on it so you should be ok getting a long reach extension ...

what and hammer it on? outer of the head is round.

I just did the sump on my track cars engine a couple weeks ago, and mine were just normal cap head screws like every other sump bolt, no external hex.

If they're the same as mine and totally rounded, then TBH, your going to have to remove the engine or remove the gearbox, and get at it with mole grips or similar.

If you want to try something you might find you'll be able to glue the hex bit into the screw and get just enough purchase to crack it off.

haha would love to see someone get a weld in there. Sorted with some epoxy and a torx bit. quite relaxing lying under a car and just holdoing something in place for 15 mins. lol. Used the two 10mm hex bolts from the old oil pump in they two holes to make it easier if I have to do it again. In final stages of refitting front end then top it up and give a test run.