possible to change a normal key into a blade key ?

gtiboy

Reaction score
Hi guys /gals ,

This is my first post

Is it possible to convert a normal b5 key "96 a4) into the more modern flip key?

Has anyone done it ?
I dont have remote locking onmy car so the buttons to open close wouldnt matter .
Thanks in advance

Does your key say AH/HA or HAA on it?

If its HAA then just buy a remote from ebay with a blank blade and have the key cut.

If its the AH style finding a blade to suit might be problematic.

Alternatively you can buy an RClick remote locking setup which comes with copy flip keys and a choice of blades.

You'll also need to cut the immo transponder out of the old key and install it into the new one which ever option you take.

HAA key pal
are there any where i can find how to get the transponder out of the key like a stage by stage guide ?

your key should split in half, if you look near the front edge theres a black glass bead, perhaps 1cm long.

I carefully cut away the plastic around it with a stanley knife and then lifted it out. Obviously its glass so fragile and you cant go prizing or twisting at it.

opened the key at luch time and there is the transponder recessed looks lke a black testube but smaller ?
I have a HAA key so will now try and find someone in leeds who can cut the key for me once it arrives from the land of ebay
once again thanks for the prompt and accurate informations fellow AUDI people .
(this audi is a stop gap until i find the chosen one )

Last edited:
Why not buy a remote locking kit as aragorn already suggested? it'll make the key buttons useful. You usually get pretty accurate instructions tailored to your car! I fitted one to my wifes Polo a few months ago and it works a treat.

r-click.co.uk

BTW: I'm in no way affiliated to r-click, just a happy customer. ;)

thanks for the r-click link it wouldmake my life easier by a lot.
is it easy to fit ?

it is if you understand very basic auto-wiring - colour coding & splicing is about all you need to know how to do. the instructions advise how to do the rest.