AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport

Thread: icm delete?

5th Gear

Status

icm delete?

anyone done this? saw a few guides a while ago and skimming through them thought that looks hard and didnt fully understand why they were doing it but since having a few hesitation issues i thought id look into it and it actually seems quite straight forward, its only really moving a wire from icm to the coil, and adding an extra earth

anyway im starting collecting parts to do it, ive already ordered new push down coils and adapter plates (from 034) but most of the guides suggest buying a new later harness, ($50 ecs) but dont really see the point
    if re-routed the wires going to the icm should reach the coils? so all i'd really need is to chop some plugs and lengths of wire off a later audi? is it any post 2000 model? or even better can you buy the plugs and pins for them new? could someone with etka possibly take a look and see if there listed anywhere

any tips or advice greatfully received
    kev
    a4 stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/olds_kool_gti
    99 1.8tqs black saloon
    99 1.8tqs grey avant
    90 eunos roadster

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    You can get the harness from tps part number is 1JO 971 658 L and its £26 +vat iirc, im currently looking at doing this but im going to find a 12 or 16 way male and female connector of a old wiring loom at work and have it so that it just plugs in and not soldered.

Heres a few links to ones ive come across.

My AEB to ATW Harness Conversion with 2.0 GTI ULEV Coils

http://www.squarewave.com/army/andre...b.97-04-02.pdf

1998 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T AEB - ICM DELETE DIY
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    You need the new harness as the plugs on the coils are different. The harness gives you all the required plugs, pins, wire etc in a nice easy to order package. You just need to cut and shut it into the wiring loom as neccesary.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

5th Gear

Status
    its the cutting and rejoining bit that bothers me, just wondering if theres a better way by attaching existing wiring to new plugs and pins
    kev
    99 1.8tqs black saloon
    99 1.8tqs grey avant
    90 eunos roadster

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The existing wiring goes to the wrong place though. It goes to the ICM plug, whereas you want to redirect the wires that used to go from the ECU to the ICM streight to the coils.

I guess you could bridge them at the ICM, but thats messy, better to just splice into the loom at the coil branch and make the connections there.

I agree with bradderz too, probably better getting a suitable multi-pin connector and using that to make the connections, rather than soldering.

TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    What does this mod do exactly, what's the benefit?

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I chopped and soldered, Did away with the wires that head towards the ICM altogether.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranoco View Post
    What does this mod do exactly, what's the benefit?
    I had no idea either so I googled this;

AEB to ATW+ Coilpack Conversion (ICM Delete) Project

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Any joy kev with this yet kev ?? Or have you backed out of hacking that loom lol have your trims arrived yet as i sent them next day on thursday ??

Well ive orded my spark plugs bkr6e's, i have sourced a suitable 16 way female and male connector through work, basically found one on a old wiring loom but the thought off un-crimping the pins and re-crimping just seemed pointless so, ive ordered a brand new one which they came in pack of 5 still waiting on the male as there on back order have all the female pins and the rest of the male pins are on order as they were out of stock so should see them with the male connector then im going to order the loom and coil packs, just need to speak to a mate of mine to see if he can do me some adaptor plates for the coil packs. (if anyone nows someboy who has a cnc machine word them up see if they can forfill my needs) lol

I have part numbers for all pins and connectors used so i will probably do a indepth 'how to' for all you non wire friendly felllows lol
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

5th Gear

Status
    trims arrived, ordered front ones but on back order 12 days

icm is now deleted!!
    ended up buying harness but only used plugs and earth looms, removed everything else
    only earth needed soldering

wiring connector pins to icm can be removed from original plug and fit straight into replacement coil plug connectors once removed from sleeving and routed(they are all same length so just looped them to fit but you could cut to correct length and fit new pins)

used the earth wire to icm for one set of earth wires, (this was the only soldering req'd) the other grounds on cam cover as original

the 12v supply wires i removed from original coil connectors and re-pinned them to fit into new connectors

fitted new bkr6e-11 because i had a spare set (my mx5 uses them) regapped to .9mm and new 2l tfsi coils and 034 plates

car runs perfect, no hesitation what so ever
    kev
    99 1.8tqs black saloon
    99 1.8tqs grey avant
    90 eunos roadster

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Nice one