cam adjuster rattle

mickmarshall

Reaction score
any1 know if changing passenger side cam adjuster is a diy job?also can you just change the runners and spring without changing the hole adjuster?any1 know where i can get 1 without having my eyes ripped out????cheers

you say passenger side, so i assume its a V6?

Anything can be a DIY job, it just depends on your levels of skill and experience...

You need to remove the rocker cover (and thus anything in the way of the rocker cover) and you need to remove the inlet camshaft. You will need a special tool to compress the tensioner, which can be had from ebay. I'd probably stick a new chain on while your in there too, as they arent too dear.

I would suggest you change the whole tensioner, also if its a VVT one you really need to use a proper one, the cheap copies dont always work properly.

Without more info on the actual car i cant tell you any more.

hi im no mechanic but im alrite with basic stuff,yeah its 2.7tt 99 model,the cars done 130k do you think the rattle will be worn runners or worn spring milage related?i had a audi spiecalist listen to it he said do not worry to much about it and keep driving it but since then the rattle has got louder,im not convinced hes the best mechanic either,you probably know yourself wen you hear a noise on your car it must be fixed, im paranoid incase the chain slips a tooth coz chain will not be under full tension and will not be cheap to fix if it slips,the car drives mint and noise goes away above 1500 rpm,do you think im best off getting the part direct from audi?

ah rite thanks for that .what a i exactly looking for if it is the cam?cheers

I'm concerned about my cams aswell but my car has a constant whine that gets higher picthed with revs but no louder. I cant find any good info on diagnosing cams without the cam cover removed. When I look through the oil filler the cams are always bone dry of oil when the engine is cold. There is oil on them when the engine has just been run. I beleive this is a sign that I am using the wrong oil?

Just look a the cam lobes, if they're knackered they'll be all pitted and generally fubar looking. If they're fine they'll be smooth.

You should be using 5w40 fully synthetic oil.

I wouldnt expect the cams to be "bone dry" but they wont have big globs of oil on them either, just a light film.

ok mate thanks for your help,i havent had the s4 long im thinking its gona be an expensive car to keep rite .