vag-com abs scan results, couple of questions.....

darby7

Reaction score
hi all

from a recent vag-com scan i was hopefully pointed in the correct direction to sort my ongoing abs problem........

the scan come up with

00302 abs solenoid valve relay
(J106) 35-00

it listed part number 4D0 907 379 D which i believe to be the abs control module. i have sourced this part but i'm not sure where it goes. any pointers....?

i'm also not sure about the solenoid valve relay mentioned, where abouts is that? i guess this needs replacing too?

thanks for any help

You'll find ABS controll module under the hood, passenger side next to the windshield washer reservoir. Like you, i have to replace this & have just sourced the part. I have a procedure on how to do this, but i'm not sure how to attach it to this post, but here's an extract that should help:

Test the unit (if you can) Before taking you car apart, the wiring harness that goes to the ABS unit can be undone and plugged into the salvaged unit un-installed. There is just enough wire to plug it in. The connector that holds the harness down has a pull-slot lock. At the very front of the connector, pull on the tab straight forward. This will pop off the connector. To plug it into the salvaged unit, you have put the sliding plastic piece about ¾ ‘s of the way in, push the connector nearly all the way on, then slide the connector to lock it in position. Run the VAG-COM on the ABS unit. If it communicates you are in business. Remove all fault codes at this point. They are from the previous car it was installed on.

Replacing the unit What you will need to replace the unit, will depend on your plans. There are two ways to fix this unit: Most of the time, just the electronics go bad on these ABS units. Hence, you can just change out the electronics portion of the unit. Remove the front left tire. Proceed to take off the fender well liner. This will gain you access to the screws that hold in the windshield washer reservoir. Pull out the reservoir and you should have access to all 6 screws on the side of the ABS unit. You are almost done! Take out the 6 screws and the bottom connector. The unit is completely sealed so you will not let air into the system when doing this. Remove the electronics and put the salvaged ones on. Reverse the order and you are done, no bleeding necessary!

There's more info on the complete procedure, if you want i can email you the complete document.

Hey,
For whats its worth I replaced my ABS contgrol unit last year (I sourced an ABS pubp and control unit for £150). I managed to do it without taking out the windscreen wiper reservoir etc. With a bit of dexterity it is possible. It took about an hour altogether.

thanks for the quick responses about the control module guys.
i'll try and give it a go on the weekend........

anybody got any info on the solenoid valve relay that was mentioned on the vag-com scan?

cheers

The ABS control unit is attached to the ABS pump. It is the black plastic piece that bolts on to the side of the ABS pump. It should have 6 bolts holding it on to the pump. To replace unplug the connector and remove the bolts. The 3 bolts that arfe nearest to you are easy to remove. The bolts at the back are a bit tricky and will a take a bit of time to get them off as they are hard to reach. The new unit just bolts on to the ABS pump. No need for bleeding etc. Reconnect the socket and you should be good to go. Oh yeah make sure you disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work.
Hope this helps.

thanks, this is what i thought, as i cannot find another loom, maybe the faulty part is not a control module....?

my abs pump is number 8d0 614 111 f. as i mentioned before it has a 17 pin connecter. as you describe it has a built in black plastic module. i tried to remove the plastic part but it has electrical ribbon connecters inside soldered to the pump itself, it is not designed to be replaced seperately.

the vag-com scan noted a fault in part number 4d0 907 379 d. i bought one thinking i needed it and i may not even have one in the car!
this seperate unit is mainly silver metal casing with small amount of black plastic around the 55 pin connecter.
is this something entirely different?
when i done a google search it did say it was a control module but it definately does not fit on my pump.

can anyone shed any light?
i guess if it come up on the vag-com scan it must be in the car somewhere....?

if it helps 1996 a4 avant 1.9tdi (110)
thanks

Shot in the dark here... but that unit you bought... it's not ECU size is it?

The ECU is about the only thing I can think of that has that many connectors on it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hey,
Just had a quick look at my Haynes Manual. It seems that there are two separate types of ABS units in A4s. The Bosch 5.0 which was on earlier models and the Bosch 5.3 which was fitted on later models. The Bosch 5.0 had the control unit mounted separately from the ABS unit (somewhere under the back seat) wheras the 5.3 had the unit mounted next to the ABS pump (attached to it).

As your car is a '96 I would think that it would have the Bosch 5.0 system. In the Haynes manual removal appears to be quite easy (i.e. remove retaining screws and unplug the connector). Removing the bench part of the back seat seems quite easy too.

To remove the rear bench seat:

(Grasp the edge of the seat to release the retaining pins from their sockets. Then slide the bench site forward to remove it from the vehicle)

Hopefully the part that you have will correspond to the part under the back seat (that is of course providing you have the Bosch 5.0 system)

Best of luck with it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

if the abs has a seperate ecu this could be it. it is about half the size of the engine ecu.
the bosch number is - 0 265 108 005 abs.
could this be an abs ecu????? does anyone know where it is located?
thanks

thanks diarmuid, your post come in as i was replying to my last one!!!
i'll go check this now but this makes a lot more sense! fingers crossed....

diarmuid you are a top man!

just lifted up the back seat and there it is! so it looks like it is a the control module after all.
i think i better get off to halfords and buy a haynes manual!

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!