Funny noise after fitting induction kit

steady jay

Reaction score
I had a new induction kit floating about so stuck it on but straight after it started a fast clicking noise around 10-20 seconds after starting the engine. But if I turn off the heaters in the car it stops.

Its a 1999 1.8t with aircon

Any ideas?

Cheers jay

Wheres the ticking noise sound like its coming from maybe the canister solinoid valve (little round brown electrovalve) on top of airbox these can cause a rapid ticking noise but only really heard under the bonnet maybe when your turning heaters on its drowning the ticking out ???

Little update on this its got nothing to do with my induction kit as I've put it back to standard. Had it nearly a week now and discovered 2 ticking noises for different reasons. Oh the joy of buying a cheap facelift a4.

1: faint tick when I lift off the throttle, coming from turbo side of engine (still have full boost though)
2: loud tick only when heaters are turned on.

Any help would be hugely appriciated this car is getting on my tits already.

Last edited:
The tick sounds lick the wastegate penny valve mine did this but was only seeing half boost use a stethoscope (how ever you spell it lol) or a pry bar placing it on the turbine side of the turbo and rev the car from the throttle body with your hand as you let off you should here it as clear as day if it is.

Heres mine totally fubar'd lol
2e4f3c63.jpg

5dc61cc0.jpg

Damn was really hoping it weren't my turbo. Ain't it odd that I've still got full boost?

You can have full boost as aragorns did and every other case ive seen or heard of just mine that lost boost and that was the cause of my good hours wasted looking for boost leaks and swapping out parts lol

It depends on how loose the penny is on the arm mine was clinging on for dear life lol

Our FWD drove around for ages rattling then fell off eventually. Would only rattle on overrun though. The turbo ive recently removed from the avant was also rattling, and on removal it had a huge groove all round the wastegate penny, and both the rivet that holds it onto the arm was worn as well as the bushing that supports the arm as it passes thru the housing.

The loud ticking with your heater on is probably either a faulty blower fan or something stuck in the blower fan. Take it out and have a look.

Ah man I have a spare turbo just had a look the penny valve looks ok bit it's got a cracked housing.

Say I have a budget of £6/700 in 2 months what so of turbo upgrade could I get. Ecu has already been flashed

To be honest I never had any intention of upgrading the turbo on this one but seeing as mine will be dead in a few months I may as well upgrade.

Update on the the noise after turning on climate control, it's defenatly not the motor blower as the noise is coming from what sounds like the sump!!???

Sorry mate just had the father in-law find out I'm a absolute tw*t. When I turn it all on and press econ no noise at all.

That's not too bad as long I've got some sort of heat pumping through ready for winter. I've got a list the length of my arm, but k04 is at the top to replace my soon to be dead k03